Ibanez JEM Forum banner

question re. speakers for studio use

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  JESTER700 
#1 ·
I need a set of speakers for playback while recording. I'll be recording on my computer using Home Studio 2002, going directly from the soundcard (probably an M-Audio 2496) to the speakers. Should I get studio monitor speakers, or would I be better off with speakers designed for use with a computer, such as these (see http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=21801/ut=18a7d895acab7375)?

If I do go with studio monitor speakers, do I need a special converter cable of some sort to go from the soundcard to the speakers?

Oh, I should mention that I'd prefer not to spend much more than $100, if possible. I realize that means I'm probably going to be looking at the lower end of what's available, but that's OK.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

#2 ·
You're really limiting yourself with $100. I really suggest trying to go $300 or so. This will allow you to get useable 2 way bookshelf speakers with 6 1/2" or so woofers and an inexpensive stereo receiver. This will do you better than any PC speakers except maybe something like the Logitech Z560, but they'd set you back the same amount.

I would see if you can get something used (or clearance priced) along these lines

#3 ·
If you want to do anything semi pro or up, you're going to need real monitors. How many computer speakers have a flat frequency response? None. Me personnally, I've never heard a "computer speaker" that I like. They're all just made from cheap parts.

But on the flipside, $100 won't get you very far. Look at the Event TR series.

#4 ·
Couple of comments for ya:
These other guys are right. There are a few areas in your system that you just can't skimp on -
1) effects. go with 24 bit effects or you will eventually get frustrated.
2) monitors. If you cant afford real ones, buy a good set of headphones and use those as monitors. Not the greatest solution, but a damn site better than "ZIM GAR" monitors.
3) patience. I've sort of developed a proceedure for mixing where I do a mix, listen to it for a few days in the car, living room, friend's house, and daughter's walkman. I write down the corrections to that mix but do nothing and allow at least 2 days to pass before I mix it again incorporation the changes I've written down. Repeat the process until I'm happy with the product - which may wind up taking a few weeks depending on the project.

#5 ·
jemaholic said:
Couple of comments for ya:
These other guys are right. There are a few areas in your system that you just can't skimp on -
1) effects. go with 24 bit effects or you will eventually get frustrated.
Actually, you can get good performance out of "lesser" gear. As an obvious example, I wouldn't turn down a Lexicon 480L just because it was 18 bit! If it's in a sidechain, it needn't be as clean as if it's in the main signal path. But overall, the cleaner the better, as you say.

2) monitors. If you cant afford real ones, buy a good set of headphones and use those as monitors. Not the greatest solution, but a damn site better than "ZIM GAR" monitors.
Big disagreement here. Find some used bookshelf speakers. Headphones are great for diagnostics, restoration, and checking for headphone compatibility, but lame for mixing, IMO.

3) patience. I've sort of developed a proceedure for mixing where I do a mix, listen to it for a few days in the car, living room, friend's house, and daughter's walkman. I write down the corrections to that mix but do nothing and allow at least 2 days to pass before I mix it again incorporation the changes I've written down. Repeat the process until I'm happy with the product - which may wind up taking a few weeks depending on the project.
VERY good advice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.