Ibanez JEM Forum banner
5K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  Reaper 
#1 ·
Ok i got a PC with a soundblaster audigy platinum card! i have a Boss gt3 multi effects processor! and a marshall vs102 combo amp!
i tried to record my guitar directly Guitar>gt3>mic in (audigy)
the sound was very thin and metalic it wasnt warm at all! now i am thinking of micing my amp! guitar>marshall amp>mic in(audigy)
the audigy has a mic gain control!
anyway i want to know what should i use between the mic and the audigy mic input! and what kind of mic should i buy?

visit my website at www.freewebs.com/ralph-khoury

#2 ·
Allright, I'm no expert on computer recording (i do all my recording analog :wink: ) But micing the amp will definitly 'beef up' your sound. I don't think you need anything between the mic and the soundcard... concerning which mic to get: Personally i use the Sure SM57 dynamic mic and am very happy with it. depends on your taste and budget though really. Best of luck!
Oh and dude, try using less '!' marks in your posts. its very distracting. :wink:

#3 ·
If you're looking to buy 1 mic, and you're not planning on beating it up, I suggest a large-diaphragm condenser. Very versatile for vox, acoustic, amp mic-ing, etc. I found the SM57's lacking to my ear, but they do sound hella good pressed right up against a Marshall speaker.

Musician's Fr. is selling the Oktava Mk219's for $79 each. Awesome deal for a really great mic. Nothing in the price range can beat it (subjective, of course). It does require phantom power.

If your mic requires phantom power, you will need a mic preamp or board with built-in phantom power between the mic and the Audigy. I just got a new computer last week w/ the Audigy Platinum, and I'm already thrilled that I don't have to get on my hands and knees behind the computer desk to plug headphones / lines-in / mics into the card! Great multipurpose card.

-Ben

#4 ·
Hi! SM57 for miking a guitar amp. There are other options, but a bit expensive. With a mic tho, u will need a preamp.
You say u are going in via the mic in on the Audigy- why not use the line in? Line in is different than the mic in.
That said, what software r u using to record on your computer? For doing writing, I would suggest adding the Amplitube plug-in. Then, use a clean sound on the GT3, and go to the line in on the Audigy. The advantage here is that u can record "clean," and then play with the actual sound after. One of the most awesome things about writing using softare these days for me. Nikki :D

#7 ·
In addition to micing the amp, you need a pre amp. ART, M Audio, dbx, oe Meek make some good ones for not much $. Stay away, far away, from the Berhingers.
However, if you need to record more than just a guitar and vocals (a full drum kit for example) you'll need a real mixing board.

#8 ·
You won't want to hear this but the Audigy is going to affect your sound noticeably. You may not notice it on clean guitar but as soon as you start trying to get a good distorted sound it will let you down, it'll put a ceiling on the results you can achieve. I moved after using an Audigy for a year to an M-Audio Delta 44 and am blown away by the difference. And the Audigy is simply useless for recording vox.

As Doink says pre-amp is essential. The M-Audio card can be fitted with the Omni I/O board which gives you two very good mic pre-amps. Failing that a dbx Mini Pre is a good choice, fitted with a valve too.

If you have no choice just now, start with the mic. SM57 if you can't afford to invest in a pre-amp. Take your time experimenting with positioning, and write down your settings always. Use the Audigy's mic in which provides some degree of preamplification.

Then change the sound card, then get a preamp or mixing unit with built in pre-amp. Condenser when you want to start recording vocals.

Hope that helps, jamie.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.