Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Recording direct into pc. How to record backing track as wel

3K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Soup Kitchen Studios 
#1 ·
After somehow managing to burn my microphone i have just a line in cable and now record straight to the pc . My problem is that im not sure how to simultaneously record myself playing over a backing track. Im using goldwave to record it, (Only program i have really), but im not sure how to record the backing track at the same time. Any help would be great as im not to good with Computers :)

Also, what free software would people recomend, as anythings better than what i have at the moment

Cheers

#2 ·
Well heck, I'm just going to go through all the older posts and share my knowledge.

I don't know anything about goldwave, but you need a multi track application. Cool Edit is my personal fave, but also look into Cubase, Nuendo, and Sonar.

And uhh, by not running a preamp between the processor and sound card, you're never going to get a professional sound. You should pick up a microphone (SM 57, Studio Projects condensor, Marshall MXL series...all under $100) and a pre amp (there are many for under $100. stay away from Behringer though!).

#4 ·
I'm on a mac, so I've never tried this software, but I saw it on the TV and it looked cool enough for being free:

Audacity

Also, I'd recommend that you pick up a used POD instead of worring about micing. With you limited budget, I think you'd be happier with the POD than a cheap mic into a cheap pre into a cheap converter. Used v2 pod's can be had for around $150.

This way allows you to get comfortable with home recording and then you can decide if some decent software and recording gear is something you want to invest in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.