Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Brand New Studio, now I need to know how to use it....

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Doink 
#1 ·
Alright guys. I'm in the spree to buy new stuff. I just bought a new PC. talkin bout a 2.6Ghz Hyper Threaded P4 with a gig of ram and a Radeon 9800. :lol: I love it. I'm gunna end up buying a 12 track mackie mixer from my friend who replaced his with something else. I wanna record in my room now. What do I need to do to get my guitar from the mixer to the computer into pro tools?

#4 ·
Re read what Mr Sound said. MIC the amp, run the mics into the Mackie, then run the Mackie into your soundcard.
What kind of soundcard do you have? What all do you plan on recording? If you're just going to be recording your guitar and maybe some vocals or keys, I suggest getting a pre amp.
The Mackie is a just collection of preamps, that aren't all that great, it's the number of them that justifies the cost. Getting 2 DBX or ART pre's will sound worlds better.
The M Audio Audiophile is a good entry level soundcard. The difference between the cheapo A/D converters and expensive converters is like the difference between an RX 20 and a JEM.
However, if you're looking to record full on drum kits, you'll need more channels, and a soundcard that has 8 ins.
What do you have for microphones? Do you have real monitors? Do you have a dedicated control room?

$$$$$$$$$$

#5 ·
well studio is my bedroom. So yeah I guess it's dedicated. :D realy monitors? yes. A pair of Event 20/20's I bought from my friend. I have a SM-57 and thinking of getting a condenser mic. probably going to record my guitar and bass, maybe drums. MAYBE drums.

#6 ·
For good condensors, look into Studio Projects. They make better stuff than MXL and Behringer for the same price.

If you're not going to record drums, you'll be fine with the Audiophile soundcard and a couple of pre amps.
If you DO jump into drums, you'll need a bigger soundcard (Delta 10/10. $600) and either more preamps or a "mixer", and of course more mics (Sennheiser 604's, at least 1 more condensor, a good kick mic...).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.