Ibanez JEM Forum banner
2K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  BlueGrot 
#1 ·
i've made all kinds of modifications to my grx20. i don't think i could make anymore modifications to it. i like to tune low and use lots of gain. i had it in drop c but now i just want to keep it in drop d. i love this guitar it's my most prized possesion. so i thought to myself if i really want to tune low (beyond drop d) why not just get a 7 string. after looking at all of the 7 strings that ibanez offers, i would love to own a 7321. it has a fixed bridge and 24 frets which would be perfect cause i hate tremolo matter of fact, i had the tremolo blocked on the grx20 (the guitar-repairman just put a piece of wood in there to immobilize it). it plays like a hardtail now. anyway, is there any way to have ibanez custom make me a left-handed 7321. otherwise i'd have to get a carvin or a schecter.

#2 ·
Only if you are an endorsed artist at Ibanez, then they will make you a custom one. Ibanez did at one point make a lefty 7 string I think it was a RG 7420 (back in 2001 :?: ), it had a lo-trs 7 trem :? . I've seen one or two on e-bay a while back. Ibanez did make a lefty RG 1077 xl in 2002 for an endorsed artist, that one was on e-bay back in July and lucky me I got it :twisted: ! The other option you mention gettin a Schecter/Carvin is probably the better and easier choice. Or if you want a complete custom try the LGM banner and have look at their Leviathan guitar. They make 8 string guitars and can do them as lefties. Hope this helps :D !

Regards

André

#4 ·
The only option I can think of is tracking down an RG7420L (left handed) and either blocking the trem or getting it modified (fill the trem cavity, install a fixed bridge).

Or go for a full custom. I'm pretty sure both EKG and LGM can do it, and probably will do it for a decent price too.

#7 ·
just because i play lefty doesn't mean i'm a lefty. the same hand i use to wipe my ass is the same hand i use on the fretboard. i didn't even know that some people played the guitar left handed guitars until i picked up my friend's guitar and started playing with it upside down. i've been playing this way for 2-3 years. i just don't feel natural playing guitar right-handed.

#8 ·
tigerotool said:
just because i play lefty doesn't mean i'm a lefty. the same hand i use to wipe my ass is the same hand i use on the fretboard. i didn't even know that some people played the guitar left handed guitars until i picked up my friend's guitar and started playing with it upside down. i've been playing this way for 2-3 years. i just don't feel natural playing guitar right-handed.
:O weird

#14 ·
he responded. that's way out of my price range. that's like double what i want to pay. for the bass i was thinking along the lines of an ibanez sr bass body not a guitar body. i would probably go the schecter route. buy a lefty omen 7 and buy a set of emg 707 and have someone local install them and set up the guitar. anyway, here's his response.

Hello,
Yes, lefty's are no problem. Pricing for a left hand 7321 would be as
follows:
Body.............$300
Neck.............$325
EMG707's.........$255 (2 pickups)
Bridge...........$75 (fixed hipshot bridge)
Tuners...........$60 (gotoh left hand tuners)
Solid finish.....$200 (pearls or metallics add $25)
Misc electonics..$45 (switch, wiring, jack, etc)
Misc hardware....$45 (knobs, strap buttons etc)
Final ass'y......$65 (full setup, strings)
total............$1370 USD

5 string bass:
Body............$300 (assuming strat or RG type of body, something
similar)
Neck............$475
pickups.........$200? unknown, need to know what type of pickups etc
Bridge..........$120
Tuners..........$70
Solid finish....$200 (pearls or metallics add $25)
Misc electonics.$45
Misc hardware...$45
Final ass'y.....$105 (full setup, strings)
total...........$1560 (approximate, pickups may change cost etc)

#17 ·
While I feel that posting the prices wasn't necessary, please understand you are comparing a company such as ibanez who builds thousands of these parts to a one off custom shop. Pricing on the body in particular since people are going to say have EKG build you a body, is based on a body from EKG, shipping costs to me, and prepping and sealing for paint.

You will also want to note that you cannot use a right handed 7321 neck on a lefty body, the AANJ will be backwards and will not fit the body without major modifications. Although not a big deal you will still have to get a new nut cut for the neck if using it as a lefty as well.

Sorry if you feel the prices are out of line, but I think you'll find that if you do buy a 7321, get a custom body done that would work with the neck joint, buy the pickups, pay to have them installed (which incidentally on an existing guitar requires new body routing) and have the body painted, new nut installed, and then setup and re-intonated for a lefty you'll spend probably as much as having it custom built. Maybe a couple hundred less.

My prices also include return shipping to you in the lower 48 or Canada, most other places you will pay shipping costs as well.

As for the bass, as I stated, Strat or RG style body, meaning 2 horns, that style, the SR style bass body would fit into that classification. The prices quoted are for one off guitars, you can't expect to get a custom one of a kind guitar for the same price as a mass produced off the shelf unit.

Jeremy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.