Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Steve's 'VWH' with 'STRANGE' Tuners?????

2K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  little wing 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone.
I've searched the posts but I can't find any reference to this question anywhere.Someone else must have noticed that one of Steve's White Jems doesn't have 'normal' tuners on it.I've seen pictures of the guitar quite a few times but now I need one to post I can't find one anywhere.He plays the guitar in question on the 'Live at The Astoria' DVD.The tuners don't appear to have normal tuning-buttons as such.It looks almost like small 'dome' type things where the tuner-buttons would normally be.It's difficult to find out anything about them because Steve seems to change necks quite often.I'm sure the neck with these 'Tuners' on was on 'Flo' for a while but I can't find any pictures of it.
Someone must know about the tuners I've seen.I'd be very grateful if anyone could let me know what they are and what they do exactly.Yours Hopefully!............JTM45!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#3 ·
Ah! Identified at last. Thanks Darren.Do you know how they worked?Perhaps they're like the 'LSR' Tuners.They have no gears either.I'll have to look into it further now I know what they were.
Cheers!................JTM45!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#7 ·
Thanks for the info Guys!
I found some lterature on them and they do look quite interesting.Great idea but it's just whether they actually work well in practice.The 'LSR' Gearless tuners are a similar idea but with a slightly different approach.I like the idea of having such a fine tuning capability but it probably would be a bit pointless with a locking nut I would think.
Those 'Steinberger' tuners are available in Gold and Chrome too.They've got them for sale in 'Stu Macs'.I think it's the fact that they're an attempt to adavance the technology that appeals to me too.
Cheers! JTM45 !!!

#9 ·
The point is that they give very fine tuning control (As accurate as fine tuners) and there are no gears to slip. They were initially designed for the first Steinberger guitars to have a headstock. I think they're a great idea... totally pointless if you have a locking nut, but a great idea if you want very accurate tuning.

#10 ·
I totally agree with you Darren!
I would think,on a hardtail guitar with no locking nut they would be superb.With a good electronic tuner you'd be able to get your tuning spot-on(i should imagine?).I really like the look of the 'LSR' gearless tuners too,very high-tech and modern looking to me.The main point with both of these types of tuner is to achieve as accurate tuning as possible,and if they do that I'd love to try a set out!

#12 ·
I can't find any spec that actually says the usable gauges but the pictures of the set fitted to a Telecaster looks like it's a fairly chunky bottom E string.It's very difficult to tell really by just looking.There's a gold set fitted to a Gibson Firebird too and I think they look really nice on it.It looks like they do sell them in black as well.I must have missed those the first time I looked.Has anyone tried the LSR ones?I nearly bought a set before but I was a little put off because there's only one place that you can get them from in the UK and they were expensive.I don't mind paying good money for things as long as I can be sure it's going to do what I want it too,and with those I wasn't because I'd only seen them in pictures.The only people that I'd spoken to about them told me they're great but hey,they were trying to sell them to me so I suppose they would say that,lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.