Ibanez JEM Forum banner

fead back

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  JTM45 
#1 ·
i was curious if a noise gate/suppreser will get rid of feedback as well, or does it only work for hum and **** like that?
-thanks

#2 ·
if your talking about a noise gate for your whole system, then as far as i know a noise gate will stop all noise from going through as soon as it goes down to a certain level. The settings consist of the sound level it should be when it cuts everything off, set it too high then it will cut off softly plucked notes, just right, no hum or feedback, not enough, and the hum and feedback will come through.

#4 ·
I've got an MXR Smart Gate as the first device in my effects loop, before my Line6 MM4, delay and reverb. The only overdrive pedal I use is a Sparkle Drive, so there isn't much noise to begin with. My Peavey JSX also has a noise gate built in, but I keep that one set pretty low. The gates keep down the hiss during times when I'm not playing, but the higher you set the threshold, the more your tone and attack will be degraded.

What's all this crap about getting rid of feedback in your guitar rig anyway? Controlled feedback is a guitarists best friend. If you're getting that nasty rhinocerous roar from your amp every time you stop playing or don't have your strings muted, turn down your distortion level.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.