Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Who is the best Vai keyboardist/guitarist?

• Tony Macalpine

Votes: 39 49.4%
  • Mike Keneally

Votes: 40 50.6%
4K views 24 replies 23 participants last post by  red5 
#1 ·
One vote for Macalpine

#7 ·
MacAlpine is probably better in the "schooled/technique" sense (i don't think that Mike could rip those Chopin etudes or shred the fretboard like Tony), but i think Mike is the better player when it comes to fulfilling Steve's musical vision.
I also like what Mike adds to the band better.
peace

#9 ·
T-MAC, of course!

Although i have to agree that Mike fits Vai's vision and okay, sound more than Tony, the excitement Macalpine exudes when playing with Steve far outweighs all other factors. Just give Tony a little more time to fully jell with "The Breed" and i'm pretty sure it'll be hard for Steve to let go of T-MAC in the future!

That is, unless Dave Weiner brushes up on his piano lessons and steals the keyboard gig as well, LOL. That guy's another demon!

Jim
www.jimantonio.tk

#10 ·
It's nice to know that my vote has brought Mike in leading position! :) Tony is great guitar player, but Mike just suits perfctly to Mr Vai's band!
In my humble oppininon, i like the performance on that G3 much more, then on Astoria live...Same oppinion goes also for tha bas player on g3 comparing to Shean (or whatever it is spelled, you know at who am i thinking)

#17 · (Edited)
Damn i wish keneally would still play with steve hes so damn talented and can shred like crazy .I really like tony too and i think he really helps out the band with his keyboard and shredding guitar talent. I would really like to see keneally in an upcoming show. He always gets the crowd going. But i cant pick between the 2 since they both have different styles of playing.

#23 ·
I met Mike at a Taylor-sponsored acoustic gig in CT at my fav music store.
The owner is a long time dear friend and got me with Mike after the show for a little chat in his office.

First, I've met both of these guys - and even Tony's mother at the last Vai tour (my family was next to Tony's family for the show) and both these guys are true professional gentlemen. Classy guys, both.

But Mike's depth of musical structure and phrasing is just so advanced I have to go with him.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.