Ibanez JEM Forum banner
2K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  nickcoumbe 
#1 ·
right now i have a bbe 362 and thats it..
soon im going to get the alesis digital eq, but thats 2 channels, and im only using one guitar, can i run the other channel into the first channel so i can use both channels with one guitar...

and i think i might get a preamp, but i dont really know if i need one.

what other rack gear should i get help me out :)

#3 ·
if you are getting a preamp, you'll need a power amp.. not to mention some speaker cabs if you dont' already have them. i think after that the only other thing that is needed (if even needed) is an effects processor, plus a floorboard. and some midi wires, etc.. ohh almost forget. A power conditioner is a must for rack gear. and yes, rack gear adds up very quickly, so plan well and make sure you can afford the cables and stuff for hooking everyhting up once you buy the rack units.

#4 ·
well cant i run a preamp into my guitar amp? i have like 100s of cables, and like im willing to spend a good 500 bucks over a couple months for rack gear. but i want it to be sorta simple. and i dont really want alot of effects becasue i already have disortion pedals, and a wah, and effects on the amp.

#8 ·
Well you say that you dont need any effects cause you have pedals. You also have an amp with a built in preamp. I dont think you need to have a rack at all. It seems to me that you only want to build a rack for either the sake of having one, or because you have one or two rack pieces and want to build from that just for the sake of it. What I suggest is that if you already have the eq, then to sell it. If you dont have it, then dont buy it. The alesis digital eqs are about 200 bucks from the bay. With that money you can buy yourself a pedal eq, and then some. If you still want to use the 362, then just place it on top of your amp, its only one space anyway. If you do want to use a rack though, then you should really only do it if you're going to get more use out of it. While you dont need rack effects to have a rack, there isnt much point in getting rack gear if you can just get it in pedal form for cheaper. Look at your options for rack gear. You got the alesis eq...get a boss pedal eq instead. You could get a rack tuner...get a pedal tuner instead. It saves alot more money. If you do want to go rack though, then you should find more reason for having it first.

#12 ·
it doesnt make too much difference when it comes to guitar. You only need so many bands of eq. I wont try to talk you out of it though, because I actually have an alesis digital eq commin in the mail. So if you want a rack go to er. To fill it up you can get a tuner aswell. So thats 3 spaces filled. Plus a power conditioner, so thats 4. For your rack to look cool you atleast need to fill a 6 space rack. 4 just doesnt cut it for coolness. It's a little wimpy. If effects are not needed then you could get a wireless rack unit. the antennas on that will make you look nifty aswell. As a last space you can either keep it open, put a blank rack space thing in there, or get a rack drower and put some crap in there, or your pedals. Now you have a full 6 space rack. Your audience will go "Wow thats so sweet looking!!" other guitarist will go "Wow what a waste of money"
Good luck.

#13 ·
yeah what a waste of money, but i dont care i want it to look cool, i already have great tone, and nothing else much to buy, and i dont want another guitar i have enough of them not much more room for them, since there hangging on my wall, but i can always make room for a rack, and yeah i need like 6 U rack, and tons of extra **** that i dont really need but want, why do i need a power conditioner?

#15 ·
adamcbest said:
is a 60 band eq really necessary for guitar??? would it really change your sound enough more than a 10 band or whatever to make it worth it??
Its not really 60. It's a dual 30 or 31 band eq. Which is kind of useless for him cause he will only be using 1 channel with his current set up. Even if he was using both, you dont really need 30 per channel, 15 usually covers it per channel.

#17 ·
I have an 8u rack. I am Ubercool.

Rack compressors are always useful bits of kit to have around. I have a 2 channel valve job, and it rocks. It has loads of dials and switches and buttons. It's like something from a 1960'a Bond film.

You could always get some old skool analogue effects as well, for not much money actually. Some of those stand alone reverb units from the 80's are good, and since you are not worried about midi, then controllability wont be an issue either

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.