Ibanez JEM Forum banner

State of shred and music in the new Millennium

932 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  jimmi 
#1 ·
I have been playing guitar since I was 12 (now 23 years). I have been into many styles from Southern Blues (where I started) to Jazz to the Vai/Satch/Johnson stuff that we all love. Lately though, I have gotten less and less enthused with the whole guitar centered shred genre.

Passion and Warfair has been done, Surfing with the Alien has been done. Most of the music now, even from Vai and others seem to just be the same theme over and over. I am to the point now where I listen to less complex nonshred music more than I do anything that could considered shred. When I do listen to "guitar music" I end up listening guys that spend as much time on the rest of the music as they so the leads or completely out there stuff like Tribal Tech. Really, I have gotten where I like music with very little lead work as much as I do the shred stuff...If honest, sometimes more because there seems to be more variety.

So here is the question...What should the next wave of shred and music in general be?? Appart from drastic redesigns of the instrument, what are the next innovations that continue the push the guitar forward or have we past the peak and there is little left to do??

thoughts?

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.