Ibanez JEM Forum banner
27K views 295 replies 47 participants last post by  7 Dying Trees 
#1 ·
#150 ·
Re: look at this sacrelige jem (old grip too!) with a floyd rose swap and bill lawrence!

Oh I know basswood is not that great looking, that is why I asked. I say stain it and Tru Oil it to save the "open" tone.

Is that the only guitar you have at the moment? I know you have the RG20th on the way.

#151 ·
Re: look at this sacrelige jem (old grip too!) with a floyd rose swap and bill lawrence!

Yep, this is all I have until the 20th gets here. I can't wait! I finally have some kind of amplification to use now, too. Only a V-Amp Pro which I just got for my birthday (gotta love girlfriends!), but it'll enable me to hear myself, at least, plus I can get my ideas recorded. :)

#166 ·

wow a lot of kids on this post.

I guess EVH & Steve Vai fall into this so called "sacriligious" category too for all their mods and poses too. Especially Vai - if you've ever seen him live he's the posing king.

#178 ·

wow a lot of kids on this post.

I guess EVH & Steve Vai fall into this so called "sacriligious" category too for all their mods and poses too. Especially Vai - if you've ever seen him live he's the posing king.
That's called showmanship. I wonder if he learned that from David Lee Roth. Most artists could learn a lot about showmanship. I quit going to concerts because most artists lack showmanship. I can listen to the music at home. I go to a show to see a "show". The concerts of today pale in comparison to the concerts of the 80's. You could spend $15 on a ticket and see a show. Now days you spend $50 or more and get to see bozo's stand in one spot, with very little or no theatrics. That's not a show, that's a rehearsal.

#167 ·

That's true. For some reason Steve is able to get away with it, though. He can totally pull it off. If most other people attempted to do what he does they couldn't pull it off like he does.

PS: I'm not a Vai fanboy, but credit where it's due and all that.

#170 ·

man this thread has went crazy lol all because i saw a silly jem. hahaha. I guess I have to lighten up about his mods... i just think the floyd rose swap was dumb and him claiming it was USA made... oh well :]

#171 · (Edited)

Aside from the fact that the guy is misinformed, I like the mods. Not sure I'd do that to an old jem, but the guitar looks cool, even with the mismatched pickups.

As for the original floyd being installed, I just don't care. Trems are all the same to me. Personally, I'd fill in the trem cavities, install a hardtail, and put a real nut on the neck. Fixed FTW!

#173 ·

If you are in the mood for something to make fun of try item # 270094179524 This is definately suited for some more classic Jem humor

LOL

edit.. ooops technically Universe humor... but its just as close to a jem as it is anthing else :)

#183 ·

by the way.... the guy made himself look like a horse's ass more on his little page, replying to dee's comment about the guitar not being USA made and asking why he didnt do the mods to an rg instead:

http://my.afterdawn.com/project_brainstorm/show_image.cfm/2600/jem7rbjpg

My Dean ( and the Moser MCS ) guitars I play now make them feel like toys in comparison . There is no substitute for a neck-through or well-made set-neck guitar
basically he says the jem is a toy because it's not neckthrough... haha GOD! i have to be nice but it's so hard......

#184 ·

Some of you need to lay off the Kool Aid...

This is his quote:

"Bottom line , my guitars are power tools , not collectibles . The sound , function and playability are much more of a priority to me than someone else's perceived "value" of them in their unaltered state . I don't treat them like the stock market , watching the collector's resale price on **** , waiting for the right moment to gouge a profit . It's not "vintage" , it's "used" !"

Regardless of what we may think, the guy sounds like he knows what he wants from a guitar, and made the changes needed to get there. While I personally would not change out an Edge, I can understand why he did.

You will always have people who think their taste in guitars is the standard.

#185 ·
Some of you need to lay off the Kool Aid...

This is his quote:

"Bottom line , my guitars are power tools , not collectibles . The sound , function and playability are much more of a priority to me than someone else's perceived "value" of them in their unaltered state . I don't treat them like the stock market , watching the collector's resale price on **** , waiting for the right moment to gouge a profit . It's not "vintage" , it's "used" !"

Regardless of what we may think, the guy sounds like he knows what he wants from a guitar, and made the changes needed to get there. While I personally would not change out an Edge, I can understand why he did.

You will always have people who think their taste in guitars is the standard.
Ok but the quote about him saying JEMs are toys compared to *GAG* DEANS? give me a break you're just playing devil's advocate here... what he said about jems (being bolt-neck) was highly inflammatory.. I think any ibanez owner in here would agree with me...

#195 ·
:lol: It's because there are more IMPORANT things to worry about in life than someone elses opinion, Mikey;)

We all have them (opinions) and we are all entitled to them. The wonderful diversity of being human:) If we ALL liked the same thing, life would be terribly bland;)

BTW - (are you sitting down) there are some VERY good contributing members on this site that DO NOT like Jems or Ibanez.

*gets finger ready for ban button* :mrgreen:

Lighten up guys;)
Are you threating to ban me? maybe i misread that...

#190 ·

There is no doubt that thru neck guitars are superior in tone & sustain. You have to remember..... while JEM's are nice, They are not considered the top of the line for Ibanez. I own a JEM and don't find it inflammatory at all the comments he made.

This guy is entitled to his opinion as well as making any modification he likes and suites his playing style. We get so worked up over these guitars...... this guy calls it like it really is, they are tools of our craft. Not the ultimate sum of our craft.

I used to swear by Gibsons..... thought Ibanez was a cheap copy of real American "wood" (guitars) back in the late 70's. Same applied to Fenders, I considered them cheaper instruments for having bolt-on necks. I figured why would a company use a bolt-on neck unless they were trying to save on manufacturing expense and expected the neck to have problems. Now I know better.

Some of my favorite guitars are my Fenders. Heck the sweetest sounding and best all around guitar I own is an old Strat. Now shred machines???? I own a Jackson Soloist neck-thru..... it has great tone, but I prefer my JEM or old Kramer Beretta over it. Go figure...... :lol:

#194 · (Edited)
There is no doubt that thru neck guitars are superior in tone & sustain. You have to remember..... while JEM's are nice, They are not considered the top of the line for Ibanez. I own a JEM and don't find it inflammatory at all the comments he made.

This guy is entitled to his opinion as well as making any modification he likes and suites his playing style. We get so worked up over these guitars...... this guy calls it like it really is, they are tools of our craft. Not the ultimate sum of our craft.

I used to swear by Gibsons..... thought Ibanez was a cheap copy of real American "wood" (guitars) back in the late 70's. Same applied to Fenders, I considered them cheaper instruments for having bolt-on necks. I figured why would a company use a bolt-on neck unless they were trying to save on manufacturing expense and expected the neck to have problems. Now I know better.

Some of my favorite guitars are my Fenders. Heck the sweetest sounding and best all around guitar I own is an old Strat. Now shred machines???? I own a Jackson Soloist neck-thru..... it has great tone, but I prefer my JEM or old Kramer Beretta over it. Go figure...... :lol:
Well I have 2 RG's and 2 Strat-style guitars... one strat is actually neckthrough custom hand-made with a kahler flyer on it and phase switch for the middle/bridge pickups. I have to say I play my RG550 and 520 WAY MORE than i play this neckthrough guitar. It sustains pretty good but the maple is too bright and it goes all the way through the guitar. basically what im saying is I have a neckthrough and 2 RG's and i like to play my RG's more than my neckthrough... which is coincidentally one of a kind and was completely hand-made by a local luthier here before i was even born. Anyway I know JEM's aren't the top of the line for Ibanez but this guy is OUT OF the "LOOP" he doesn't have a clue about JEMs to be honest.... and if you can't agree with me on that then there's no resolving this lol. Sure he knows what he wants out of a guitar.... why did he even get a JEM in the first place? He doesn't appreciate it and know what it's used best for, as well as what's proper for it to allow it to be a very sweet guitar. It's just like modding a car.. you can't just throw any old parts on any motor... its a precise combination of parts and a tried-and-true upgrade path that you benefit the most from...

#191 ·
The guy is an all around moron. And some of us like to make fun of that fact. But can we make some fun.
F*ck no!
It seems that while we were accused of making fun of him to "be cool", more of you seem to want to defend this idiot because it makes you "look cool".
Heres some food for thought:

"This is my Ibanez Jem 7RB Steve Vai model , one of the more rare USA Jem guitars"
Ignorant. We've discussed this already.

"I also put in a real Floyd Rose - a tool steel bridge has much better tone than the stock cast metal bridge ."
Different, not better.

"I loved the sound and feel of the Jems"
That's why he changed all the hardware and pickups.:roll:

"and the Floyd Rose bridge transmits much better tone to the wood overall."
No, it sounds brighter. The Edge sounds warmer. Better tone according to whom?

"There is no substitute for a neck-through or well-made set-neck guitar"
Except a well made bolt-on neck guitar. How may companies that make set neck guitars are using the long-neck tenon? How many companies that make neck-through guitars use maple necks, making their guitars sound brighter than most customers care for?
And most importantly, which neck style is best when it recieves horrible damage and has to be replaced?

I say he should of bought himself a Dean ML instead of killing a poor Jem.
Sorry I couldn't be "cooler" and stick up for someone who in my book is a giant jackass.

#202 ·

No you haven't done anything to warrant a banning (yet:lol:)

Make all the points you want, Mike! PLEASE! It's encouraged!! But try to do it in a way that's "somewhat" respectful. :rolleyes:

We are VERY lenient here, but sometimes the Mods have to step in on a thread to keep it from going overly hostile. And this one's headed that way for sure:roll:

#204 ·
No you haven't done anything to warrant a banning (yet:lol:)

Make all the points you want, Mike! PLEASE! It's encouraged!! But try to do it in a way that's "somewhat" respectful. :rolleyes:

We are VERY lenient here, but sometimes the Mods have to step in on a thread to keep it from going overly hostile. And this one's headed that way for sure:roll:
For a second there I thought you were gonna be a jerk-mod drunk with power... thank god you're not like that (right?) :p

#207 ·

I put a Bill Lawrence in my RG750. It made it sound great for the music I was playing at the time, so whatever. If it works for him, that's OK! I already mentioned this anyway. I eventually took the pickup out and changed it back to the original IBZ because the BL sounded cold and harsh. The IBZ sounded much warmer and blended better with the other pickups. My music taste changed along with my playing, and so I changed the pickup to suit what I needed at the time, and that's clearly what he's done. I can't knock him for it.

BTW, I was into Nuno Bettencourt's sound, that's why I changed it for a BL.

#208 ·
I put a Bill Lawrence in my RG750. It made it sound great for the music I was playing at the time, so whatever. If it works for him, that's OK! I already mentioned this anyway. I eventually took the pickup out and changed it back to the original IBZ because the BL sounded cold and harsh. The IBZ sounded much warmer and blended better with the other pickups. My music taste changed along with my playing, and so I changed the pickup to suit what I needed at the time, and that's clearly what he's done. I can't knock him for it.
uh huh but you did get rid of it eventually ;) i win.hahaha :p (just kidding of course)

#213 ·
Well for the record, Dime had terrible tone. I love his playing, but his tone was god awful.

[Flame suit on]
for solid state i'd say his tone was great! what makes it even greater is those RH100 heads are a "dime" a dozen ( no pun intended :p) and very affordable.... any fan who wants that "walk" tone can have it pretty much all they need is that head.... I had the chance to play one for an extended period of time and it has a VERY robust eq! also his tone later on was ****ing GREAT! when he switched to krank amps.... dear god... it's such a shame he had to die.... i still think about it every day.... talented he was.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.