42K views 26 replies 20 participants last post by  neptoess 
#1 ·
Here is what I want ...

1. an amp that sounds GREAT at bedroom levels; plus

2. LSC cleans; plus

3. mark IIC+ leads; plus

4. RKII crunch; plus

5. sells for under $200 (just kidding).

The crunch I can live without but what amp gets me closest to the first 3 on my list? MESA or any other manufacturer.

Help!

Thanks!

#8 ·
The headphone option is what I have now. I don't it for 2 reasons. F*cking around tied to headphones all the time and most importantly TONE. I want a nice warm tube tone, not some digital rendering of one.

I have a POD XT but distortion sucks on those. I DO however get a killer Mark IIC+ clean tone on it.

What I may do is get a tube power amp and use the Pod as a preamp and run it all into an earcandy speaker. For distortion, stick a BB pedal in front (again for that tube sound).

Wondering if the power amp will warm up the Pod XT output and by how much.

Anybody?

#10 ·
Kustom KLA 25R (it's an old model) and Kustom arrow16r, also called solo16r i think?

both awesome cheap practice amps with great shred solo tone, the KLA25r is the greatest cheap lil prac amp i've ever been able to find and hear in person. though there's a lot about that i wouldn't have had the pleasure to try. the solo16r has even more gain and is more modern(does practice metal very well). both amps have great generous amounts of bass and nice sounding gain(nicest=KLA25r) :)

#11 ·
If you want good tone at bedroom volume levels, you're out of luck. If you want somewhat decent tone - get a cheap Line 6 modeling amp. It sounds the same at low volume. You won't get a Mark IIC+ out of it, though. In order to get that you'll need a Mark IIC+, and crank the heck out of it to boot.

#13 ·
If you want a bedroom practice amp, do not go for tubes at all. It's a waste of time at bedroom levels. So definitely go solidstate, and I'd say definitely go modelling too. So anything from Line 6, Behringer, Tech 21, Roland, would do the job very nicely.

The Behringer GMX series are great (which is what I own), as are the Roland Cube series by all accounts.

But as the others have said, you wont get Mark Mark IIC+ tone out a 1x12 solidstate modelling amp. So don't go expecting too much. Even with serious tweakage.

#15 ·
IMHO, one good choice for nice tube sound at bedroom level is the Laney LC-15R. very nice clean tone, and bluesy overdrive (I changed the preamp tubes and that improved but still not a high gain amp). It doesn't have ultra high gain though. Nicest clean tone I get is cranking its volume to about 7-8 and the gain at 1. I have a little zoom multifx infront of it that I use for high gain. I also use the zoom to control the overall volume of the amp if I want to ise it at lower levels. I believe it doesn't change the tone as much as lowering the amps volume. Another plus is a rather nice and rich sounding Accutronics reverb unit.

#17 ·
I'm really happy with the Roland Cube 30X I just bought. And one of the neat new features it has is called the "power squeezer" (or "wife pleaser" as I like to call it), which allows you to limit the output to 2W while keeping the gain and sustain as if it was full power (which should help for bedroom/nighttime practicing).

#19 ·
Peavey JSX sounds satisfyingly powerful no matter how quiet you make it - mine is primarily a bedroom practice amp. Its also capable of being as loud as you want and has every gain setting imaginable covered right up to full face melting, scooped out distortion of doom.

Don't worry about the price, just get one and enjoy.

#20 ·
Vox Vox Vox

Unlike the others above (I'm not against their opinions - have not tried them) I use a Vox Brian May

What i like is that it is not a real gain monster thus forcing me to practice in almost clean mode thus once i get onto my big rigs (trirex or rack jmp-1) i'm much cleaner and articulate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.