Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Help me with my tubes....

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Racerx2k 
#1 ·
Now that I have your attention.

Given the choice between a Groove Tube 12AX7R or a Mullard 12AX7AU, which would you choose? I am trying to A/B them and I must not be able to hear the difference - if any at all.

Something to consider too is that the Mullard tube I am using is probably 60 years old, but works perfectly.

One more tube question, has anyone here used 12AU7As?

#3 · (Edited)
I've got a butt load of them. I recently moved my mother's household goods and came across some of my dad's old tubes, mostly Mullards - but some RCA and others.

Here's what I have: 5 Mullard 12AU7A (very mellow,) 4 Mullard EL84 (haven't done anything with them, although my combo runs on EL84s,) and 3 GE 12AX7A and a few of the Mullard 12AX7AUs.

#5 ·
Hey Kirk,

Are you rebiasing for each tube change? if your not are you checking them out in an amp you can adjust the bias easily on? You might be able to run a bit more current through the Mullard and make it break up a bit sooner but ultimatly shorten its lifespan... If I were you and couldnt hear the difference then I would stick with the GT and flog the Mullards to someone willing to pay.

Steve

#10 ·
Mullards, for many people are considered the "holy grail" of tubes. They have been described as having a sort of 3-dimensional sound, that is not present in other tubes. Unfortunately, the Mullard name has been bought, and they are now making re-issues that, apparently sound nothing like the real deal, by, of all companies, Sovtek. Look up "Mullard" on Evilbay, and you will see that these, as well as NOS tubes like Telefunken, net a hefty sum.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.