Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Can't decide which Mesa amp to get?

2K views 14 replies 15 participants last post by  racerevlon 
#1 ·
Hello, I would like to buy a Mesa amp, but I am not sure which model will suit me best. I'm constantly using pinch harmonics and whammy bar dives. I like my gain sound, to have a tight bottom end, be midrangy and lots of bite. I am into people like Harry Cody (Shotgun Messiah), Steve Vai, Lynch, Eddie etc...
I was considering a Mark IV, but I am not sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thx
Kev

#2 ·
Its really hard to pick with out playing them. They all sound good. I love my Nomad series, and am gassing for one of the new Express series.
However I live within a reasonable drive to the Mesa factory store. So I can try them with different speakers and such.
Start figuring out speaker configurations and such too. I've personally discovered I like combos and 2x12's the occasional 4x10. But I stick with combos to make more room for my pedal board most of the time.

#4 ·
There are basically two varieties of Mesa Boogie amplifiers. One that is closer to Marshall (Recto, Road King, .50 caliber, some others - tone stack is at the end of the preamp) and the one that is closer to Fender (Mark - tone stack is after the first amplification stage). You're not gonna get Steve Vai or Lynch or Van Halen out of either, though. They're good amps, but Mesas sound like Mesas. Though I'm sure EVH playing through a Mark IV would still sound like EVH (but you'd still hear it's a Boogie).

If you want juicy Marshall tone, you need either a Marshal or an Egnater (or if you're rich - Bogner or Diezel). Mesa ain't gonna do it for you.

#10 ·
I have a splawn and they are not for everybody. I will say it does run the range of early marshall tones and does Eddie and George well, but we need to keep in mind that neither of those guys was as high gain as most people think they were. And the splawn if very unforgiving of sloppy playing. If you are set on a mesa I must say mark IV, But I do have to say something marshall based would be best for the kind of tone you metioned.

#13 ·
Try to locate a nice DC-5 head and try that. IMO one of Mesa's coolest amps. The mark series amps are totally amazing as well. I didn't really dig my Recto all that much. I kept waiting to discover that magical sound that people rail about but it wasn't ever "right" The closest I ever got was running EL-34's and fairly dark, low gain tubes, with a Tube Screamer up front. Sounded great as long as it was cranked up loud enough to blow the windows out of my house.

The Mark IV is on my short list of amps to get some day. I also want to pick up a nice Dual Caliber head (DC-5, DC-10, etc.)

That being said, I really dig my JSX these days.

#14 ·
FWIW, I've heard grea things about the newly revoiced Stiletto Ace, which is Mesa's answer to a Marshall-style amp. I haven't gotten to play one myself, but after grabbing a Tech-21 Trademark 30 and falling rather hard for the "Brit" voicing, if they measure up to what the guys I've talked to who've played them have said, well, let's just say I've got the cash put aside ready and waiting, just in case.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.