Ibanez JEM Forum banner

speaker question

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Jack Gilvey 
#1 ·
Probably addressed once upon a time, but here's my scenario:

I just got a crate powerblock that I'm going to use for my POD into a 212 cab. The powerblock requires 8ohms, and I haven't picked up speakers for my cab yet. Which would be better, 2 4 ohm speakers wired in parallel or 2 16 ohm speakers wired in series?

Thanks for any help!

#3 ·
Um, you got them the wrong way around there chum - 2 x 4ohm speakers wired in parallel makes a 2 ohm load, 2 x 16 ohm speakers wired in series makes a 32 ohm load - the Crate is solid state, and doesn't have an output transformer - the 2 ohm load might kill the power amp section - but I am guessing what you really intend is to create an 8 ohm load - so you want either 2 x 4 ohm speakers in series, or 2 x 16 ohm speakers in parallel!

There are supposed to be subtle differences in the sound of each load, but I really seriously doubt that you'd pick them - I know I sure couldn't pick any difference! The Weber Speakers website may have some info, but I doubt it (they tend to be pretty fanatical about speakers those dudes).

I agree with the other poster too - the Crate has, I think, got a stereo power amp - don't miss out on the opportunity to play in Stereo - you'll never look back!

Hope that helps a little bit,

Cheers,

David

#4 ·
This is true. Take adv of stereo its hard to go back to mono after that. I use a pwrblock and I love it. I only use it as a pwr amp. Make sure that you dont let the two cord ends touch at either end, this will short out the pwrblock (this will not damage it but kills the output). The left and right out jacks are very close together, even if the plug housing touches each other you will loose the output. I had to wrap both housings in electrical tape. This problem can happen on the cab side if using one stereo cab if the cab has medal jacks.

#6 ·
Maybe so. I hate that they did yank them. I really wanted to buy a second one. Maybe they did not sell very many but they sure made a great little pwr amp. Very tube like in feel and tone. They have a slight hum but I can live with that. I never used mine as a regular guitar amp in the normal way. I tried talking with them about putting out a rack mount version of just the power section.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.