Ibanez JEM Forum banner
4K views 24 replies 18 participants last post by  finstah 
#1 ·
ok, i know a lot of you have a wah, and that there are a lot of wahs to choose from.

im looking for a wah that doesn't suck tone, and is not too extreme.

i dont want it to double up as anything else (volume or gain or whatever...)

the obvious two are vox and jim dunlop(crybaby), however i have heard bad things about both of them sucking tone...

im not really interested in signature (vai included) wahs , cos they cost too much.

i play many things, but mostly shoegaze, soft rock and post rock

so if anyone has any suggestions, vox? crybaby? something else?

please enlighten me!!

cheers
tomx

#14 ·
Classic's got the Fasel inductor, original doesn't. It has to do with the harmonic overtones that are produced. With an original, you get strong thirds, fifths, and sevenths on the note/chord you're playing. With a fasel inductor, the inductor boosts fourths and fifths and eliminates the sevent, creating a purer, clearer tone.

http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/wahpedl/wahped.htm#inductor

#17 ·
cos they cost too much.
How much is too much? Over £100 (seeing as you don't know where you live, I can't guess either)? Over £80? £200? If it's around 80-95 region, then probably Weeping Demon. You said you didn't want it strong - well, you can make it weak. Or when you feel like quacking, you can do that as well. The Dunlop/Vox are cool, but sometimes they're just too wahy, if you get me. Sometimes you just want a little edge or tone mod.

Also, once you get used to it, you'll love the switchless mode.

Fasel inductor - tbh, I didn't notice that much of a difference between a £25 standard (w/out Fasel) and a £110 Fasel crybabay. But then that's me and my rig. What I would suggest, is that if you're nifty with a sodlering iron, and you want a fasel, get a nonfasel one, which are typically £50 - 60, and then replace the inductor. You can get them from places such as wah-wah.co.uk (or something like that). I can't remember how much they cost, but seriously, they can't be more than £50 - thus you have saved yourself some money.

#20 ·
Why is everybody ditching their Bad Horsies? I was thinking about buying one since I really need more range than a crybaby and the switchless idea is plain brilliant, but now...I feel a bit discouraged... :( I had heard also that it didn't suck your tone so much...any comments?

#23 ·
I have a Boss PW-10. And I love it. I love the tone it gives and I love how much I can tailor my own sound from it. I'd defend it to the death in an arguement.

Would I reccommend one? No. They are too fussy with volume, and since there is no volume knob in it to change it, it can be a pain in the arse.

#24 ·
well, im on the lookout for a classic then, after listening to the soundclips on the site it is the coolest sounding!

cheers for your input guys.

any idea how much a good price is for a 2nd hand one?

they go for variable ammounts on the bay...

x

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.