Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Flying with my guitar.

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Rekuss 
#1 ·
Hey,

I'm going to Abu Dhabi this Sunday and I'm wanting to take my PRS with me. The airline company are fine with me taking it on board but I was wondering if I should wrap it in some bubble wrap/towel etc to give it some protection from the temperature changes and the possibility of it getting some dings and such. I would be putting it in it's soft case but if anyone has seen the PRS softcases will see how sturdy they are.

I have searched the forum but thought for my own piece of mind, it would be best if I got second opinion.

Many Thanks

Reece

#2 ·
If you are carrying it with you and you say the gig bag is a good one then you should be OK. I don't think temp will be an issue. Rule of thumb is to never leave your guitar anywhere you wouldn't be comfortable, climate or temp wise.

#3 ·
check with your airline first. for that guitar i would opt for an ata flight case instead of trying to carry it on. if you just have to carry it on, bring a beater axe in a decent, not too big gigbag. keep in mind, you'll have to lug it around with you at the terminal as a carry on. i've been there...it sux.

rich

#4 ·
You make some good points Rick but if the gig bag is a GOOD one (I just bought an uber nice Ritter bag that I would pack any guitar in without worries) he should be OK. A flight case will definitely work but might be overkill if you don't mind carrying the guitar/gigbag around the terminals.

I bought a new Explorer a couple years back while on vacation in DC (came in a standard Gibson GIANT hardshell case with black "panties" liner) and I had to carry that monster all over the terminals and I think one of my arms is permanantly longer than the other because of it but I wouldn't check it at the ticket counter for nothing. They did let me check it at the gate and I got to stand there while they gently layed it in the cargo hold and shut the cargo door and I was standing there at my final destination when the cargo door was opened and the guitar was gently handed back to me. probably the exception rather than the rule I'm sure.

#5 ·
yeah, i tried carrying on my rg7620 in a nice levy's gigbag about 2 years ago. basically a strat sized normal gigbag, but they told me i couldn't take it as a carry on, i would have to check it. it had a new custom body, so it was worth a lot more than your typical rg7620. no way was i going to check it. i had my brother in law take it home with him. so you can definitely see my POV, especially with a PRS. if you got a PRS, you shouldn't have any qualms about getting an ATA for it.

rich

#6 ·
I defintely see your POV. I only say that about a GOOD quality gig bag if you are keeping the guitar with you at all times (or close by so you can see any activity near it) and not leaving it to chance for some schmuck to throw around.

#7 ·
Thanks for the responses.

Yeah I've checked with the airline they said I can carry it has hand luggage "as long is it guitar size or smaller". So it'll either be in the overhead compartment or with the air hostess' stuff.

I'm sure my PRS gigbag is strong enough, it's padded out well and very sturdy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.