Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Tube suggestions

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  riggaz 
#1 ·
I just bought a Soldano SLO-100 and find that I would like it to sound a little nastier than it does. I heard people swapping power / pre-amp tubes to really liven things up. I like a tight, hi-gain EL-34 sound similar to Harry Cody (Shotgun Messiah), Lynch, Vai etc.... any suggestions on what power tubes and pre-amp tubes I should try?
Thx
Kev

#2 ·
I'm not sure about the SLO100 but unless it's a fixed bias you'll have to adjust the bias for new tubes..... any NOS EL-34 Mullards or Siemens EL-34. Also check J&J, not to mention with the manufacturer.

Actually I thought these came with 5881's...... just goes to show what I know. BTW what do you mean by "nastier"..... tubes may not be the answer you're looking for. You may want to take it to a amp tech and have some internal tweaks done.

Go check some other amp forums too like AX84.com or ampgarage.com..... you'll get plenty of good advice between those two.

#4 ·
get some high gain pre amp tubes, these make a massive difference, also Vai uses Celestion Vintage 30's in his amp, if you can afford it buy some of these they will make a huge difference. Remember with the exception of one or two all amp manufacturers make to a price so they skimp on component quality Marshall, Mesa, Vox all of them which is wrong but means there is room for you to improve your sound. Speakers should be the first port of call, then valves. Pre amp valves do not need re biasing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.