Ibanez JEM Forum banner
17K views 117 replies 36 participants last post by  racerevlon 
#1 ·
Hei guys, its me again with this slightly provocative statement.
How reasonable is it to lets say invest 3000 Euro in a boutique amp for an average guitar player. There is that expression saying "its all in the fingers" which ultimately isn`t quite correct because the fingers just do what your brain tells them, so its ultimately in the brain.
But to make a long story short do we really sound "3200 Euro better" with a 3500 Euro Cornford than with a 300 Euro Peavey Valveking. I am not so sure especially if you use a POD or something like that to boost/ modify your Valveking.
Ok last but not least its an individual decision if you think that invesmtent is worth it or not. But imagine you would know you die in exactly 12 month and you had to choose between the Peavey Valveking and one bottle of quality wine each evening + a 2 weeks trip to the Seychelles or no wine and no trip and just the expensive boutique amp.
What would you choose. Is the tone difference really worth 3000 Euro?

#105 ·
as for zachary guitars.. you gotta be kidding me man.. most of the designs are awful looking--- none the less, the guys site is totally unprofessional, and he doesnt know how to dial in a good tone or play.. i watched the clips of him trying to play and he had some awful chorus tone, and was clearly tone deaf, he was playing completely atonal.. it was bad.. i was actually getting interested until i heard how bad his tone was and how awful of a player he is.. bottom line is, if he doesnt know what sounds good, i could not take any of his **** serious..

#107 · (Edited)
I can say this, I was playing my Zachary G2 for about an hour the other day. I wanted to diddle with a whammy bar so I switched over to my 20th 550 and when I first plugged it in I thought the cord was was shorting out. It wasn't. That is just how much better the tone is from that Zachary. (Edit)And the 550 is a good playing and sounding guitar by most standards...

#110 ·
You like?, you got the money? then buy it if you want.
IMHO you can spend as much as you like on a guitar amp or whatever and yes you probably can play the same thing on something else but weather it feels right is another thing, in short get whatever floats your boat.
And lets all remember playing guitar is fun not just expensive.

#112 ·
True, some of the cheaper (and expensive) Ibanez don't have nice fret ends. That can be fixed by a tech for like $25. I don't really want to bash on the fenders. Some of them are pretty nice, but I have seen a few American deluxe with factory neck alignment problems. The shop here in Cave Creek told me that is normal and adjustment is part of the setup they do when they sell one.

The original arguement here was is it worth all the extra money...

#113 ·
i think that you spend the money to get the tone YOU want, don't spend millions just to get the theoritcally "best" gear. people call me a noob cuz i love my ibanez gsa60 - but it has my tone, and i love it to death. it's ALWAYs gonna be in my main rig, even if i become a pro.

#117 ·
But to make a long story short do we really sound "3200 Euro better" with a 3500 Euro Cornford than with a 300 Euro Peavey Valveking. I am not so sure especially if you use a POD or something like that to boost/ modify your Valveking.
I'm a little late to the thread but next time shop around more. I foolishly bought a VK 212 and I thought it was utter dog****. It fooled me in the store like amps (and GAS) can do. The VK was too loud, sterile. The boost switch had a delay and is not adjustable volume-wise. I hated it. Two months later for another $300.00 I picked up a Kustom '72 Coupe which IS boutique compared to the Peavey and not an extreme price jump. I only lost about $150 selling the VK but I wished I had been more patient to begin with.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.