Ibanez JEM Forum banner
18K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  AleTheNervo 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello fellow jemsiter's
Well today i bit the bullet and decided to invest in some behringer pedals: The vintage Tube Overdrive T0800 and Digital Delay DD400. A while back i was plotting to get some behringer pedals but i didn't realise that they are in fact made of ABS PLASTIC, so that put me off buying them for a while plus i had no money anyway so today i bought them and i have to say i am impressed. Just some general info now

Tube Overdive
Paid:$50 AUD
Controls: Drive, Tone , Level
1 1/4" input and 1 1/4" output

Digital Delay
Paid:$50 AUD
Controls: Level, Feedback, Delay Time and Delay mode selector (200ms 800ms, 1300ms, hold)
1 1/4" input and 2 1/4" output (mono, direct out)

Anyway i thought since there isn't a whole lot of info about them i thought i'd just give a rundown and show a couple of pictures of what you can expect if you buy one of these pedals. And i'll give my opinion of what i think of them.

This is the packaging they come in:

Paper Work that comes in box:

Front of the pedal:

Front of pedal with light engaged:

Controls:

Continued:

See less See more
#2 ·
Now as for changing the battery its a little bit more difficult than a boss or ibanez tone lock pedal.
At the hinge of the pedal there are these spring loaded buttons

You have to get a pen and push them in on either side like so:

The battery compartment underneath foot switch:

And finally the back:

#3 · (Edited)
Now if you want a sound and video review check out jimmyj's video on youtube
, i would make a sound sample but i can't play very good and i got no recording equipment.

I can tell you that i do like the pedals the delay is what i expected from a delay and the overdrive sounds pretty similar to a tubescreamer. The knobs on the overdrive are a bit loose possibly because the shaft of the pot is made of plastic, but i don't know.

I did have to buy a power supply for the delay which set me back $35 AUD,

If anyone has had any experience with a Boss delay then they will know the knob that controls what mode you are in actually clicks into place on the selected mode, this is not the case with the behringer delay it is exactly the same as any other pot, which does get confusing because you don't know the exact mode that you are in.

Apart from that i think i made a good choice for 2 pedals for $100AUD.
Anyway i hope people found it informative and just got a bit of info out of it.

Oh yeah sorry for the poor quality pictures, i really need a good digital camera.

#4 ·
Just a little update i did actually take apart the tube overdrive to see what their PCB looks like and what components they use, its a very neat and well protected board compared to boss, and most of the components are surface mounted which means you can't really modify these things, but the components they do use are boss quality, which are only worth about $15, and the board is well secured to the base of the pedal so it won't move around what so ever.

#6 ·
Would I be correct in assuming that the Vintage Tube Overdrive is a bit lacking in tubes? I guess Behringer are using the word "Tube" to compare the pedal to an Ibanez Tube Screamer, rather than because the overdrive is created by saturating a valve (tube to you American types.....)?

How do the pedals sound? they are so ridiculously cheap that it's almost not worth NOT buying a few just to see what they do!

#7 ·
Well Matt the delay sounds pretty good, but at certain settings it can sound like your amp has a metal pipe in front of it (Seriously), also i don't like how it "Digitises" the natural sound of the guitar i know its a digital delay but you would expect it to keep the overall sound that you want to delay and not to add extra tone. I'm still trying to find what setting will give me the Echo i want.

David yes the behringer tube overdrive does not contain a valve, nor does the ibanez tubescreamer most of the tube like qualities are created by using certain diodes to "clip" the signal, and the chip also helps to add extra gain and clean up the tone. The tube overdrive sounds like other overdrive pedals i've heard and i got it because i wanted the tone control it had, atm i'm using it to boost my amp's natural distortion and to add extra treble that my boss od-1 can't offer to go with the amp, the tube overdrive is fairly "trebly" even with the tone control down and it doesn't offer alot of gain but that is to be expected with an overdrive pedal.

I only got these things because i wanted some more pedals and i wanted another sound to have, for their price they are pretty good value, if you are a whizz with electronics i'm sure you could mod these things to you liking but they really didn't want anyone to mod these things with the way they built them, i was considering actually replacing the chip in the overdrive to the JRC but i can't, it's way too difficult.

#8 ·
Just a quick reminder for those that aren't sure. Delay pedals belong in the loop, not in front of the amp. When you turn your guitar down, it cleans up in the gain channel. This can also happen to the delayed note. It just doesn't sound as good. Which is why rack units are in the loop.

#10 ·
Fair enough that makes sense.

Just a quick reminder for those that aren't sure. Delay pedals belong in the loop, not in front of the amp. When you turn your guitar down, it cleans up in the gain channel. This can also happen to the delayed note. It just doesn't sound as good. Which is why rack units are in the loop.
Yeah i know a delay is meant to go in the effects loop but the only problem with my amp is it has no effects loop so i have to run the delay in front and last in the chain.

#12 ·
I just found a hidden mode 8O in the delay, i was messing around and i don't even know why but i decided to hold down the foot switch and then all of a sudden the check LED starts flashing, so i'm guessing it might be a tap tempo mode or something similar but behringer hasn't listed anything like this in their instruction manual, and they clearly state that the pedal has only 7 modes not 8 for the delay nor have they listed much about anything else in their pedal, so now i'm trying to figure out how to use this mode, so has anyone had any experience with tap tempo modes and how to use them?.

#13 ·
What I understood is that the led shows you the tempo of the delay and the number of repetition with the settings you did. What i think is really useless is the hold mode, unless i did mistakes, the sound keeps repating and is not holded.
After trying boss, digitech an behringer i have to say the differences in sound between boss and behringer are quite not heareble, the main difference is the material and the construction, while digitech has in my opinion less quality of sound and settings

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.