Ibanez JEM Forum banner

I'm gone two months and my mother gets mugged

2K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  Darin 
#1 ·
I just called my mother for my weekly Sunday call since I've moved out and she told me she got mugged on Friday. If I didn't call, I probably never would have found out.

She told me she got mugged waiting for the bus on Friday on 25th AVenue and 86th Street in Brooklyn, by a group of high school aged black kids. My mother is a 4'11 56 year old Italian woman. It was easy pickens for them.

I honestly don't know what to say. They only took like 70 bucks and the rest of the contents of her purse off her. She didn't really want to talk about it, but she says she's alright.

I don't even know what to do. Should I make here file a report at the police station or is it not even worth it.

#4 ·
Sorry to hear. :(

Report the incident & be thankful she was not hurt worse. It's critical to work towards prevention -- she's an easy target -- which means no more pocketbooks, credit cards only (no cash above singles/change), copies of all her IDs, etc. Sad that's necessary but it is what it is.... glen

#5 ·
I despise those people (not blacks) but those a-holes who target innocent people to make themselves look tough..

Good to hear shes ok.

My grandmother got mugged about 2 years ago, she was 83 at the time, a-hole came from behind her, knocked her down, kicked and punched her for only $5 she had to buy milk, now she has a bad knee.... angers me everytime because those bastards get to roam free...

#7 ·
The muggers are the victim, you know?:rolleyes:
Sorry to hear about your Mom.
Glen, one thing you can do is carry around a disposable wad of cash, say a 5 with a few ones in a clip, when the guys grab you, throw it out on the street and run like hell!
Who are the muggers gonna go after, the screaming ball of noise or the tossed money clip?

She's gonna not feel safe for a while, I can assure you of that.
do your best to comfort her, and be glad 70 bucks was all they got.
Best wishes for your Mom.

#8 ·
That's bloody horrible and far too common.

Of course she should report it. She appears to be pretty tough, but what about the next victim?

Being Italian I presume she's Catholic? (Please don't shoot me if this is typecasting) Maybe she should talk to her priest about it too; you never get away from confrontational crime like this without some lingering effects. Couselling of some form is important.

#16 ·
Even if I didn't mention, it wouldn't change who the victim was and who the perps were.

Overly P.C. and liberal thinking at it's best. Wouldn't want to offend the poor (Insert which ever race you like) here criminals. We live in a day and age when you can't even mention the truth about an incident because it might offend some one.

Black, white, green, purple, what ever color skin these kids had is irrelevant. They're douche bags none the less. I was just recanting a story.

#18 · (Edited)
Sad story. Sorry to hear.

But about the color thing. If you're offended, then you're looking for racism I think. The story could have ended with, "My mom got mugged". But in the interest of helping us picture the whole situation, he added, the amount of money, the bus, her size and age, her location, the kids appearance. Now we have a complete picture of what happened. No one is saying they did it because they were black. It's just that they were. No big deal unless you make it one. I don't think there is really any need to be hyper sensitive about these things.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.