Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Spitzer = epic fail

4K views 70 replies 23 participants last post by  elcid 
#1 ·
Good god, you can't make this up. The guy put the system in place which monitors suspicious bank transactions (heard this on NPR - the threshold is much lower than $10K now, since 9/11). He also liked to prosecute prostitution. Now he gets caught by the system he put in place, which leads to evidence that he liked to partake in the activity he was so righteously against. Sources say he spent close to $80K on hookers.

He pretty much shot himself in both feet at the same time. Let's see how much respect he has for justice now that he's on the receiving end. :lol:

#40 ·
If prostituion is to be legalized, it has to be regulated for the health of everyone involved. Does prostitution now harm individuals? I believe it does, though probably not in every circumstnce. I am not judging one way or another whether it's right or wrong, it's an issue that the voting public should decide.

It's obvious that certain elements of the legal community are for it.

Perhaps the public needs an open & honest debate about pot as well. When will that happen? Who knows!

#42 ·
Yep, right of Libertarian is Anarchy. And that's where I fall politically. No man or group of men should ever have authority over another man or group of men. Yet by threat of harm or inprisonment, men excersise authority over other men. It is the weak that need, choose and elect leaders to lead them and excersise force to control other men by force and threat. So here we have people choosing what other people should do and not do using the threat of loss of freedom. People electing leaders to control others by force. It's the pathetic that think this is a good idea.

well, that's my opinion. You can disagree all you want. I'll still be your friend. It's all good with the jemsite brotherhood.

rock on

#47 ·
Yep, right of Libertarian is Anarchy. And that's where I fall politically. No man or group of men should ever have authority over another man or group of men. Yet by threat of harm or inprisonment, men excersise authority over other men. It is the weak that need, choose and elect leaders to lead them and excersise force to control other men by force and threat. So here we have people choosing what other people should do and not do using the threat of loss of freedom. People electing leaders to control others by force. It's the pathetic that think this is a good idea.

well, that's my opinion. You can disagree all you want. I'll still be your friend. It's all good with the jemsite brotherhood.

rock on
Like I said, not trying to argue or anything... just was curious, as Libertarian is usually pretty far to the right as far as the typical views go. It's all good in the neighborhood.

#44 ·
i don't care about his "wife" that is between them and not our concern. maybe she financed them you just don't know and it's not our business.

what is sad is he has 3 teen daughters who will be mentally fubar since there will be no way to reconcile this in their minds, especially with the services coming from someone a few years older.

really selfish act.

either way it points out yet again how stupid & wasteful our legal system (& government) really is... glen

#54 ·
Your leaders, leading. HAHAHA

Perfect example of what happens when you let people control people. HAHA

NEW HAVEN, Connecticut (AP) -- School officials have decided to go light on an eighth-grader caught with contraband candy in New Haven, Connecticut.

Michael Sheridan originally was suspended and loss his class vice president post after buying a bag of candy.

Michael Sheridan, an eighth-grade honors student who was suspended for a day, barred from attending an honors dinner and stripped of his title as class vice president after he was caught with a bag of Skittles candy in school will get his student council post back, school officials said.

Superintendent Reginald Mayo said in a statement late Wednesday that he and principal Eleanor Turner met with student Michael's parents and that Turner decided to clear the boy's record and restore him to his student council post.

Michael was disciplined after he was caught buying a bag of Skittles from a classmate. The classmate's suspension also will be expunged, school officials said. Video Watch boy explain case »

The New Haven school system banned candy sales in 2003 as part of a districtwide school wellness policy, school spokeswoman Catherine Sullivan-DeCarlo said.

"I am sorry this has happened," Turner said in a statement. "My hope is that we can get back to the normal school routine, especially since we are in the middle of taking the Connecticut mastery test."
advertisement

Turner said she should have reinforced in writing the verbal warnings against candy transactions.

Michael had said that he didn't realize his candy purchase was against the rules, but he did notice that the student selling the Skittles on February 26 was being secretive.

#62 ·
Hmmmm....anarchy!! A lawless society!

Are you suggesting the human race would've survived if we had to rely on peoples sense of decency and respect for one another!!!! We'd all be dead by now!!!

With no law and order, how would you have felt if your kids when younger were kidnapped and sold to a paedophile ring! Nothing could possibly be wrong with that as it wouldn't be illegal. If it's not illegal it can't be immoral!! The only thing is it wouldn't be kidnapping because that is a crime and that law wouldn't exist! And paedophiles would just be "people".

I know people will say i'm being extreme.....but as the saying goes..."be careful what you ask for!"

Some-one could shoot you dead tomorrow because they felt like it! Not illegal so they haven't done wrong!!!

You are welcome to your anarchy......i think i will live far away though :wink:

Most people think of anarchy as meaning THEY shouldn't need to obey the law!! True anarchy would be unbearable and unsurvivable! I know all governments are corrupt to varying degrees and politicians only concern is looking after themselves, but true anarchy is not a solution!!

#63 ·
There are multiple definitions of anarchism. I like Chomsky's:

Anarchism, in my view, is an expression of the idea that the burden of proof is always on those who argue that authority and domination are necessary. They have to demonstrate, with powerful argument, that that conclusion is correct. If they cannot, then the institutions they defend should be considered illegitimate. How one should react to illegitimate authority depends on circumstances and conditions: there are no formulas.

In the present period, the issues arise across the board, as they commonly do: from personal relations in the family and elsewhere, to the international political/economic order. And anarchist ideas -- challenging authority and insisting that it justify itself -- are appropriate at all levels.

#66 ·
I doubt he really cares. He's a controversial figure to say the least (and seems to enjoy it), but some of his ideas are actually pretty cool.

The guy pretty much invented contemporary linguistics and formal grammars in particular, so he's not a total nutcase even if at times it might seem to be the case.

#70 ·
What taxpayer dollars? Last I checked MIT tuition was extremely expensive. Besides, even if his income is in part taxpayer money, he's one of those rare cases when something is worth it. To see why, read the Wikipedia entry about him: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noam_Chomsky. Thank god for the US education system where at least tenured professors can say what they think without any fear of retribution.

#69 ·
I guess I'm not prepared to say that with the lack of forced behaviour, that everything would fall apart. I enjoy living in the delusion that people, when faced with the opportunity, will choose to do right. Complete and total lack of government raises quite a few problems, i'll admit that. The biggest being property ownership. You couldn't hol a deed to your land if there were no governing institution helping you protect your ownership.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.