Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Oh how I hate evilbay

1K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Ayrton 
#1 · (Edited)
I put my PSP on e bay last night.
Wake up this morning, someone has bought it with buy it now.

Wow, that was a quick sale...or was it?

I check my emails and there is a series of retarded emails from the buyer, who has 0 feedback and registered the day I listed the item.

hello seller
i am very happy that i have made the payment for the
item through paypal.and paypal has contact me about
the payment confirmation and the money has been
deducted from my paypal account pls I want you to
ship the item ship to my daughter as its getting kinda
late.and i want this item send to my daughter as a birthday gift in west africa,and Rememeber to send the tracking number to paypal customer service for verifications so they can credited the money in your paypal account. Get back to paypal with the tracking number when you are done with the
shipping....
Here is the shipping address again...

Olalekan Williams
18 ipodo street
off awolowo road
ikeja lagos
Nigeria

love to hear from you
Thanks
HELLO SELLER

I HAVE NOT HEAR FROM YOU, AND THE PAYMENT HAS BEEN MADE TO PAYPAL, YOUR ITEM MONEY HAS BEEN DEDUCTED OUT OF MY PAYPAL ACCOUNT, PLS GET BACK TO PAYPAL WITH THE REFFERENCE TRACKING NUMBER SO THAT THEY CAN CREDIT YOUR FULL MONEY IN YOUR PAYPAL ACCOUNT OR DO YOU WANT ME TO LOSE MY MONEY AND THE ITEM IS URGENT NEED AS A BIRTHDAY GIFT TO MY DAUGHTER IN WEST AFRICA.

Olalekan Williams
18 ipodo street
off awolowo road
ikeja lagos
Nigeria

LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU
THANKS
Now this is the first time I have ever sold something on the bay, but this has put me right off seeing it costed £11 to make the listing and someone has wrecked it...

#5 ·
Some of the things I do when I sell-

1) Never use buy it now. It allows anyone to end the auction (as you saw), which means that many less people will see it. List the item for what you realistically want based on what they sell for. Or use a reserve price, and list it for less to entice bidding. Sometimes you'll get more at the end of an auction

2) Never end an auction early. People wait for the last second to bid

3) In the description, list all of your terms for sale, where you'll ship to, who you'll ship to, how you ship, so there are no misunderstandings...

4) Feel free to refuse any bidder with too many negatives or a zero feedback unless they specifically get email confirmation from you before bidding (one of the things you should list in your description)

A lot of it is trial and error too. You'll see what works for you as a seller...
Good luck

#6 ·
All I needed to see was that "It's a gift for my sister" to know it was a scam. The fact that it's from Nigeria, the scam capital of the world, just reinforces that. They say it's a gift to get you to send it to an address other than the confirmed paypal address.

#7 ·
Nigeria should set off the alarm dude. Easy way to avoid this is when you set up your auction don't use worldwide shipping...keep it to North America and maybe Europe and set it so that anyone with under 5 feedback can't bid on your auctions. DO NOT give into this guy's claims that he paid...he didn't and never will.

#10 ·
Negative feedback should be the least of your worries. Eeeee-bay would retract the negative feedback after they investigate the PayPal (non)transfer and even then you would be able to respond to the feedback so when someone looks at your feedback they will be able to read your response that the guy was a scammer.

#11 ·
Nothing wrong with e-Bay, it's fine most of the time, but if you don't know certain things (pretty much all listed by DEADTUNE above) then you might be in for a bad time.

e-Bay doesn't suck, it's a very useful site and personally I have had barely any trouble at all in the 3 years I've been registered.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.