Ibanez JEM Forum banner

MY DOG!

2K views 24 replies 17 participants last post by  jaxadam 
#1 ·
My little Jack Russel broke his leg this morning! It happened when he leaped out of my dads arms to the ground.

Now he has to have surgery because the break is too close to the elbow. I'm super worried! Not only about my dog, but the cost of surgery, the long term effects on his life.

We bought him right after my brother died in Iraq, and he helped fill an empty hole in my family. I'm just freaking out so bad right now!

#5 ·
My little Jack Russel broke his leg this morning! It happened when he leaped out of my dads arms to the ground.

Now he has to have surgery because the break is too close to the elbow. I'm super worried! Not only about my dog, but the cost of surgery, the long term effects on his life.

We bought him right after my brother died in Iraq, and he helped fill an empty hole in my family. I'm just freaking out so bad right now!
Oh man, sorry top hear it. I hate seeing animals get hurt. Hope he gets better soon!

#6 ·
Sorry to hear of your events. Please take some comfort, animals are much more resiliant to surgery and medical intervention than people, I know this from first hand experience, with my cat (now 13 years old), who had a jaw fracture wired just 12 months ago, and now is thriving like never before.

It's distressing to see animals in immediate pain, but thankfully there are dedicated professionals committed to seeing them back in their healthy prime.

All will be well soon with your terrier,

Best regards

Ian

#7 ·
My little 6 pound Japanese Chin had $4500 neck surgery at Auburn University 8 years ago. At the time I wondered if I had just wasted $4500, was my dog going to have a good quality of life. Well, she is a little paralyzed on her left side and her tongue hangs out all the time because she can't feel it, but she is the happiest little fireball in the house, and that was 8 years ago. She is now 1 year over the breed standard for lifespan and going strong. It was well worth the money and she is way tougher than I'll ever be. I'm sure your pooch will do great and have a speedy recovery. I wish you the best!

And on a side note, she is now scratching my leg to go outside so I'm going to go let her out!! It's good to see folks taking care of their animals. I'm by no means an animal activist, but I have always strongly believed that if you decide to have a pet, you treat them like a member of the family and take care of them as such. We saved a cat in a local grocery store pumpkin patch 2 years ago (hence his name, Pumpkin), and it turns out he has asthma, and trust me, spending $200 on his inhaler isn't my favorite thing to do (yes, cats use the same inhaler as humans, they just have a little tube and face mask that connects to it), but he's a family member now and I'm glad we have him because who knows what someone else would have done. Anyways, good luck man. My thoughts are with ya.

#10 ·
Sorry to hear about your dog.

But I am truly sorry for the loss of your brother. I have never lost one of my siblings so I can't fathom your family's pain.

Thank you for the sacrifice your family has made and I will say a prayer tonite for all of you an your Jack Russell.

#12 ·
Best wishes for a quick recovery.

At least your Jack Russell doesn't steal your car. Ever since we taught Angel to drive, she's constantly sneaking off for a joy ride. This pic was taken the day that she and Emma the beagle nabbed the wife's keys and credit card. They went to the doggie resort and spa for a filet mignon lunch, got a shampoo and had their nails done. They were caught when Angel's signature on credit receipt didn't match the wife's.

Whatever you do, do not teach your dog to drive!

#17 ·
Thanks a lot everyone, that pic is hilarious scott!

The first few days were really hard, but he's getting more comfortable with his cast. He really hates the cone over his head though!

Thank god I have such an understanding band, practice has been cut to absolutley weekend's only for the next few weeks.

All in all Dudley is doing much better by the day!

#21 ·
Dogs are the coolest things! There's an Aussie band called The Fauves who released a single a few years ago called Dogs are the Best Kind of People - I totally understand what they are getting at!

We have always taken the attitude that the animals in our household are as important as the people, and deserve the same love and respect, hence, if they need medical care, there is no question asked, it just gets done - the amount of pleasure and company given to us by the various dogs and cats we have had makes them totally preiceless!

Good to hear he's fine, and that others feel the same way we do!

#25 · (Edited)
I feel your pain, man. I'm a huge dog person, grown up with them my whole life. My female has cost me quite a fortune from all of the incidents we've had to go through with her. One thing I've learned is that they are very resilient. Dogs are like the best people I've ever known, minus the bullsh!t.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.