Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Processor upgrade question

795 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  DancingDrake 
#1 ·
A store nearby is selling the Q6600 for 2 benjamins. I currently have a E6300 that is overclocked to 2.6ghz. My MB is a Gigabyte GA-965p-DS3 revision 1.0, which is compatible with the quad, but would limit my overclock ability due to it being an early version. Still, from what I've read on on various forums I think I could get 3ghz out of it with my board.
So here's my question, will I get a significant performance increase by going to the quad, or should I just hold off for another six months or so? My current rig runs nice for most of the stuff I use it for, which is games and some audio stuff, but I've got upgrade-itis after seeing the quad for that price. Dang!

-ekIm

#2 ·
The short answer is not for 90% of applications.
You will if you run a lot of processor intensive apps that take advantage of the quad cores like if you do a lot of video and audio editing and compressing or 3D rendering.
For day to day stuff and most mainstream software you won't notice any gains.
Also even newish games like Crysis can only utilise 2 cores so unless you want to play it while also 3D rendering there's no need to go for a quad yet.

And the quad will pull double the wattage your E6300 pulls under load so you might need a beefier power supply.
I'd wait until the Q6600 retails for 1 benjamin as right now the benefits are def not worth $200 extra.
If on the other hand knowing you have a Q6600 under the hood will bring you more joy than having an extra $200 in your bank account - go for it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.