Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Laptop is dead, but I think HD is good. Can I..?

900 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  DancingDrake 
#1 ·
The HD died a year ago, so I replaced it. But when it was dead or not installed, the laptop would try to boot and show a screen that said there was no drive, even the fan came on for a moment. Now, nothing. The light comes on, one the power button, and the CD drive spins for 1 sec. then nothing. So I don't think it's the HD. Here's the question. Can I hook the HD to my PC somehow and retrieve information off it. Treating it like an external drive.

#3 ·
You can go with Alex's suggestion or you can hook it up to a Desktop PC, but you'll need a notebook to IDE hard drive adapter in order to do that. The issue with your notebook appears to be a mainboard problem, which you can get replaced if still under warranty.

#5 ·
Alright, I'm assuming it *attempts* to boot and then shuts off right? In this case, it's most likely a jinxed motherboard and I'd recommend contacting the manufacturer about repairs or an RMA.

On the other hand, if your notebook *appears* to be running (lights on) and there's simply no display it could be a faulty memory stick. You can check which memory stick is faulty by simply removing one at a time and booting your notebook. However, you'll have to look up the manual or manufacturer website in order to figure out where the memory modules are located.

#6 ·
whoa! It just booted up. A few days ago, I tried a bunch of time. The power light came on, then nothing. Maybe it a loose "something". I did have to take it apart to change the hard drive and remove and clean the fan out. What we didn't know is the fan is really a vacuum. If you set it on carpet, it sucks up fuzz and stuff and clogs and then doesn't cool anything. Maybe in the whole tear down rebuild process something got loose.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.