Ibanez JEM Forum banner

FOOD FOR SCARY THOUGHTS!

4K views 44 replies 26 participants last post by  DancingDrake 
#1 ·
#31 ·
Yeah they're looking for tiny things that make up matter (i.e. the Higgs boson). It's cool stuff - I tried to understand it - but most of the physics is way over my head. It's funny though - the data collectors can only collect a very small fraction of the data that this thing'll produce. In my mind I compare it to a new, powerful microscope. It'll let scientists 'see' things that've only been theory till now. And I don't think it'll be able to generate a tiny black hole that would suck in the Earth. But on a similar note - has anyone seen "the MIST?" It's a ****ty movie - but the LHC and talk about opening gateways and stuff reminds me of that movie.

#32 ·
They should defintely turn it on, but they need to tell us what day. I'm up fior a big "end of the world" party this summer, but I need to plan, you know? How many steaks, how much beer and ice, that sort of thing. Maybe a quick trip to Virginia for fireworks even....We won't get a rain date, so proper planning will be essential.

:lol:

jim

#40 · (Edited)
i was just talking to my gf dad about this whole issue who does program engineering for the same company investing in operations lile this

he is one fo the electronic engineers who design the standford linear accelerator, but now does stuff for software tuning of eletro-based sensors and atoms detectors etc....

anyways, he said the suit was a complete joke, and has no official backing and he read through this thread and gave me his two cents
as someone with experience in studying the atomic structures he said specificaly

the in these tests they are using optical beams, with excited sections that operate in severe vacums

they can basicaly colide:

neturons
protens
electrons
Neutrinos its a by product of a reaction between protons with feeded netron release...anyways

the point being

they will accelerate and feed beams of light together, is extreme vacum producing actually a compressed plasma that is almost like 3 kelvin...then when the stable reactions are fast enough they stop the traveling protons by shifting magnetic fields and they hit each other...each time the purpose is to create these relative supernovas....creating atoms that are not possible to find on our planet...they then feed light back into it, feeding the reaction creating short lived multi part atoms that we cannot see or sense..but the measurement of the Neutrinos it releases in the paterns and whatever....lets us understand how they work - also there are companies using powerful linear acelerators to creat some of the rare uranium found above the 104 on the periodic table

now the interesting part is, that the small reaction that they produce firing protons are in a severe vacum, and they basicaly creat little super novas with a fed reaction wich the life is fractions of a second becase the intense reastion it produces has no actual fuel source so it disintegrates fairly fast

like fractions of a second fast

on the other hand, the sister company he works for....at livermore labs in livermore ca...were i interned in optical science btw.....they have a division that has created miniature black holes by firing nertrons into each other and then feeding them with protons while coliding the neutrons not just to smash them together but keeping the shashing happening continualy even when its just two atomic peices...while the protons are a source of fuel

these are also done under extreme vacum situations, and therefore has no available "solid" source of fuel

about opne of the miniature black holes is created on a weekley basis for study...they also send rare atoms they create in liner acelerators and smash them in together with these small black holes

so in cunclusion he told me there are miniture black holes, everywhere, all around us, they appear when Neutrinos colide..and they need to be feed for them to be catostrophic, were talking about the excesses of two meteors about the size of our moon or even texas, would colide at near light speed and at the same time the reaction sheds sub atomic particales called Neutrinos, if all went well then a black hole would develop, but were talking about feeding it is next

black holes the guy told me are everywhere, and you have to feed it or they "evaporate" more like disintegrate

so if they were to create a black hole, it wouldnt not be the first time...just a couple years ago, they created and still are making miniature black holes in labs using light particles

and also, the point of the cern lab is to colide and recreate atomic structures without creating black holes, wich are ooo so easy to do in labs, even when you cant feed them, but you can monitor what actually happens when the black holes fall apart

another thing is that when the linera accelerator in palo alto is coliding atoms, they sometimes cannot control the en viroment exactly and they create black holes, but arent equiped to study them...

so if a black hole was a issue, why are people already doing them???

hmmmm this lawsuit is a joke

#41 ·
Sorry to be late to this debate.....here are my thoughts.....
Interestingly the theory that says they might create black holes if correct also states that they will *evaporate* harmlessly extremely quickly! So either way everything's ok (and who am I to argue with "The Wheelchair Guy" off the Simpsons!).
Also the energy they're talking about is pretty low. In the CERN impact study, you know the one the plaintiff claims they haven't filed :))) CERN compares the energy with someone clapping their hands, of course the point is the energy is confined to a very small region (which is the difficult bit) allowing all the exiting stuff to happen.
Also many collisions between atoms and cosmic rays occur in nature all the time at energies which far exceed the capacity of this machine and nothing bad has happened because of them!
I'd bet my life it's not going to cause the problems suggested (oh I guess I already have!)
Jim (BSc (hons) Theoretical Physics, but mostly Guitar Player)

#42 ·
also vim there are these things called neutr-nons that are by products, and they are floying everhywhere in space, all over..and they floy rightt hrough our plants without ever being noticed..they are soo small they fly right though out planet at speeds soo high that they leave out planted after going right through at he same speed!

#44 ·
yes that was it, thatnk you for correcting me, i was going off of what i heard durring a two hour comvo with my gf dad

and they are not only from the sun but they are traveling at amazing speeds all throughout the universe...and for insstance there could be one going through the earth right now from ten zillion light years away!!!! figure of speech

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.