Ibanez JEM Forum banner

direct body pickups vs pickguard pickups?

5K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  jsdetrait 
#1 ·
Hello guys;I've got one fp and one bfp and I always wonder why you say in jemsite :

"Note the original Florals (and Blue Florals) had the pickups mounted directly to the clear pickguard (as per Steve's preference). Somewhere in the mid '90s however Ibanez has changed this to direct body mount for the pickups as per the JEM77PMC/GMC guitars."

What's the difference between pickups mounted directly to the clear pickguard and direct body mount for the pickups ? :?:

I use to have a rg 450 with pickups mounted directly to the clear pickguard but I cannot compare with my two direct body mount florals!

Could anyone tell me how the way the pickups are monted affect the sound of the guitar?
:) Thanks
JS

#3 ·
I would wager the change was made for ease of production by Ibanez. It's easier to direct mount than to pickguard mount. Then again, maybe Steve requested this change... we do not know. Any changes in tone is very subjective and IMHO nothing to write home about :D ... glen

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.