Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Shimming? - Common issue or something to avoid?

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  7 Dying Trees 
#1 ·
I checked out a used 99 UV777BK this afternoon.  It was in decent shape with some battle scars but for the price it seemed like a decent deal.  However after closer inspection I noticed something weird.  There was a small patch of neck right where it met the body that wasn't as faded as the rest of the area.  It looked like it had been protected (i.e. in the "neck pocket") but had been brought out for some reason.  This struck me as odd especially when the rest of the neck area looked fine.  Anyone seen soemthing like this as a result of repair work?

It was also noted that the locking nut had been shimmed.  I was told this was a common thing with Universes but I'd like to get a second opinion.  Is the condition that causes the need for shimming normal and natural?  Should I expect to have to shim the neck eventually even if I buy new?  Will a shimmed nut need work again at a later date?

I'm dying to get a Universe but I'd like to do it right the first time.  Is this Universe going to be a potential chronic headache for me?

Thanks...

#4 ·
Shimming?

I know, I need a life away from this computer!!

Ibanez decided they were going to get cute and cut all DNA nut routs perfect so they would not need a shim.

If they were all perfect it would be OK but some were a little too high (within spec) but too high is not good, you have to remove wood. Much better a little low and shim to perfect.

#5 ·
Shimming?

Huh.....

So a shim isn't something I should be concerned about. And additionally the little area on the neck is just a result of the physics of hands and where they can and cannot reach on the neck? I don't ever remember seeing those marks on used guitars....but then I don't exactly remember looking.

Sorry If I seem paranoid about this. I've wanted a UV or Jem for a good decade now but have managed to either not have the money or talk myself out of getting one for whatever reason. I want to make sure I'm not going to get something that's going to be a big problem in a short amount of time. This is an instrument I'm planning on hanging onto for life.

#8 ·
Shimming?

I'm not a trem-player but I love the feel of that wizard neck, so every guitar I buy,I take to an extremely qualified tech and have the trem blocked and every time they have to shimm the neck to adjust. It is a minor mod, and it has no affect on the guitar or resale or palyability. And if I choose to sell that particular guitar, I take it back have everything reversed, and viola', good as new.

#9 ·
Shimming?

Hey all...

I want to thank everyone for their help with my queries. You've all gone way above and beyond to help me out and I appreciate that greatly.

After taking a day and thinking about it I've decided not to buy the Universe I posted about. It's got a few more dings on it than I really good about and is missing some components. Additionally if I'm going to get a Universe I don't mind spending a little extra for one that's going to be in top notch condition. I'm not talking new but the next best thing, which this guitar really is not. It'd be a good Universe to gig with but I already have guitars for that expressed purpose.

So my quest is on. I've got about a grand budget (Rich, I'm watching your site like a hawk, buddy!) and I'm looking for a instrument worthy of having waited 10 years for.

Again....thanks all.

#10 ·
Shimming?

Well...looks like a follow-up post is in order here....as of tonight I officially have a reason to post in this forum.

I sent a polite email to the buyer and stated my concerns but left things open so that if he was willing to negotiate a price I'd be willing to possibly work things out. We spoke over the phone for a bit a little while later. I make an offer that's low, he makes an offer that I feel is high. After a bit he makes an offer that I feel is reasonable for the instrument. A couple hours later I'm the owner of a UV777BK.

I spent tonight going over it a bit, putting some new strings on it and working with the action. I may take it to a professional and have them do a set up on it though....I just can't get the action to where I feel comfortable.

For the money I'd be hard pressed to find a better deal. The instruments going to need a truss cover, a tremolo cover and a hardshell case. But looking at it on my wall next to my Clapton Strat and Schecter C7+ it's really an amazing and unique looking instrument. In a sesne I'm glad I went with one with a few dings. I wont be as inclined to treat is as a "museum peice" and will play it out without hesitation.

It took me 10 years to get one of these. Ever since I remember seeing Vai toting one when he toured with Whitesnake I'd always had it tucked away in my head that I needed to have on one my wall. I think that decade only made it sweeter though.

Again, thanks all...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.