Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Ibanez Wiring vs. DiMarzio Wiring HSH

29K views 34 replies 6 participants last post by  MicJustMic 
#1 ·
Hi guys, wondering if anyone has tested the difference between ibanez wiring vs. dimarzio wiring.

I have an RG2570, with an HSH setup, but funnily enough the wiring setup for the factory Ibanez setup is different from the DiMarzio HSH wiring suggestion.

But both produce the same effect:

1. Neck Humbucker only
2. Lower neck single coupled with middle pickup
3. Middle Pickup only
4. Upper bridge single coupled with middle pickup
5. Bridge Humbucker only

Additionally the Ibanez wiring features a small capacitor on the volume knob that isn't present on the DiMarzio wiring. The ibanez factory setup also had a wire grounded on the tremolo unit (on the spring tension plate).

Ibanez Wiring:

http://www.ibanez.com/supportResources/wiring/2007/RG2570E.pdf

Dimarzio Wiring:

www.dimarzio.com/media/diagrams/C.pdf

Seeing as i've bought new Dimarzio tone/volume knobs and a 5 way switch i'm tempted to go with the Dimarzio wiring.

Does anyone know why the differences exist and if they produce different tones?

<please no generic use the 'search' button BS, i've used it :wink:>

See less See more
#2 ·
that extra cap is treble bleed used to pass some treble through on lower volume settings to prevent it from sounding muddy. I recently replaced it with 130K resistor and 1nF cap in series and works better. Wrote an article on those, you may want to check it out. http://diy-fever.com/misc/guitar-wiring-101/#treble_bleed
As far as grounding wire is concerned, dimarzio diagram doesn't have it but bridge should always be grounded. It's usually done at spring claw which is connected to the bridge via metal springs, so there's good contact.
Other than that I don't see differences. DiMarzio draws standard strat switch. Ibanez switch is electrically the same, but looks a bit different. 8 terminals are lined up, but other than that it's the same.

Volume pot on ibby diagram looks wrong, I have 2550 and it's wired like dimarzio, just with the 330p cap between lugs 1 and 2, and not 2 and 3.

Cheers

#3 · (Edited)
Hi great answer, just the kind of informed response im looking for. Do you recommend keeping the treble bleed then despite DiMarzio wiring suggestion not featuring it?

My plan is to therefore follow the DiMarzio diagram but add in the treble bleed cap, and a grounding wire from the solder blob on the volume knob to the bridge of the guitar. Sound reasonable?

The 101 article looks like a fun read, im a bit of a novice to this pickup changing business but i figured i should really give it a go rather than parting with my cash to a 'pro'. Your 101 wiring should help a lot.

#4 ·
my mistake, volume pot on ibanez is fine, it's just that it's drawn looking from the other side compared to dimarzio. As for treble bleed, I recommend trying 4 most common options and find the one you like. One is obviously with no cap at all, three others are listed on my site. None of them affect tone when volume is maxed, so you need to play with it to hear the difference. I recommend kinman circuit. I used it with dimarzio pickups (liquifire-evo single-crunch lab) and works great, better than Ibanez IMO.

and yes, your plan sounds food.

Cheers,
Bane

#7 ·
Help Im also wiring into a 5-way 8 pole switch I look at the diagram red green obvious (I think) Im putting in sd's what about the other 2 wires used to tap the diagram shows grey wires with no description.. anyone have a color coded diagram to share? cant understand why there isnt a legend with the diagram

in other words need to know where the wires go when using the ibanez 8 pole 5-way switch with duncans as the bridge neck.. single coil in the middle HSH configuration :cry:
All the info you need:

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f35/another-pickup-wiring-resource-thread-110579.html

#9 ·
Actually I know what the wires do on the duncans.. thats not what I am asking...need to know where they attach on the switch.. and on the pots...
those diagrams do not address ibanez (cor-tek) 5-way 8 position switch wiring.. I need to know color codes.. the coil connecting wires (red-white) .. if you follow what im asking
example. h1 (neck) hot(green) to position 1 ground (black) to position 2 red tap to vol. pot white tap to position 8

basically looking for an idiots guide to the 5-way 8 pole switch with duncans
Just use the pickup color chart and substitute the colors of the p/ups you're using.

In other words: if the diagram is for DiMarzio, look where the red wire is connected and if the p/ups are Duncan, the black goes where the red would be... and so on.

Not too hard to figure out.

#11 · (Edited)
well I found 1 diagram that is usable.. however Ive seen 3 different wiring schemes for the 5 way (cor-tek) switch.. and only one can be right.... it this were a solderless switch it wouldnt be that bad but it isnt.. I want to minimize the number of times I have to apply heat to the switch and pots.. once would be perfect. I cant believe the answer is this allusive.
There is confusion since Ibanez and DiMarzio colors are different.
There are links in that thread.....

#13 ·
There is only one schematic on that entire post that is even remotely close to what I am attempting to do.. the rest are useless, pointless, or just misinformation...
Ive seen 3 different wiring schematics for the same switch. I am primarily interested in the RIGHT one. I thought that there was someone out there that has wired a 5 way cor-tek switch. ( i can probably figure out all the wrong ways to do it on my own:roll: )
There's no 'useless', 'pointless' or 'misinformation' in the Bat's post.

Everything you need is there.

What configuration are you trying to set up?

For example:

Position 1: Full Humbucker
Position 2: Single Coil and inside coil on humbucker...

Etc.

If you're just looking for the standard 'split-five' configuration, use the Ibanez diagram and just convert the colors as I said before....

http://www.ibanez.com/supportResources/wiring/RG2570.gif

Dimarzio-Red = Duncan-Black... and so on, it's all there in the color code chart.

#19 ·
I'm all for helping people, but when you've pointed someone in the direction they need with all of the information, and given them perfect instructions on how to help themselves... and they STILL insist that your help isn't good enough because you haven't held their hand and practically done it for them...

Well...

That's where the help ends...

#22 ·
The standard Cor-tek is just like any standard fender 5 way. If you looked closely I would have bet the others were the 5 way for a 2 hum setup. It is a different switch. We knew which diagram you needed, and told you repeatedly which diagram to use. Low and behold, the wiring shown to you was the same - funny that.

Giving people the third degree isn't the way to go about it. We told you what you needed to do, it was correct. You just put a bunch of people off with the way in which you responded...

#23 ·
Cute how he's edited all of his posts on this thread.

Anyone have an archive, maybe in email, to post the whole conversation so those of us that did try to help don't look like we were talking to ourselves? :p

Just joking, but it did get really annoying, and offensive when he kept saying things like, "There can be only one correct diagram... blah blah blah" and when it was explained to him in great detail, even given a link to the diagram he needed, that wasn't satisfactory since he actually had to do a little work on his own (converting the colors from DiMarzio to Duncan)...

And like you said Bat, had he been nicer about it I would have most likely ended up taking the time to alter the Ibanez/DiMarzio diagram with the proper colors for his Duncans. I actually get a warm fuzzy feeling helping people like that... oh well...

Whatever... can an admin close the thread so I'm not compelled to bitch about his ungratefulness any more? LOL

#24 ·
Just realized, Phantom actually did give him the color conversion... so he didn't even have to do that for himself... WTF else did he want us to do for him?

Draw the diagram... I assume... well; that's not going to happen now. :roll:

I'm happy that Matt got his question answered though, and he was very cordial about it. :)

#28 ·
It's really sad when someone goes and edits posts like that when they realise they were wrong with their actions/attitudes. Some of the posts were quoted, but not all.

The proper netiquette would have been for notryt to leave them, and apologise for the way they handled things. Unfortunately they chose the way that just makes them look bad...

#33 ·
Yep a color coded diagram (basically what I was asking for) would have done it.. That what I got from another person who popped the cover off his jem and drew it for me with the pin-outs.. I didnt need all the other info.... thanx anyway.. any for the record I wasnt trying to be an ass. Just wanted a simple diagram on wiring a cor-tek 5 way switch HSH (Jem Floral) Whoever was drawing one should post it somewhere for future reference Im probably not the only person who will replace this switch

#35 ·
I'm not trying to be pedantic here; but as the Bat just said... the diagram was correct and the color code chart was there for the conversion.

It just seemed that you didn't want to take the two minutes to convert the colors on your own, that's what was frustrating us.

If you'd said something like, "I'm sorry, I'm just not getting it. The color conversion is a bit confusing. Could someone draw it out for me? I'd much appreciate it."

Instead of, "There is only one schematic on that entire post that is even remotely close to what I am attempting to do.. the rest are useless, pointless, or just misinformation...
Ive seen 3 different wiring schematics for the same switch. I am primarily interested in the RIGHT one. I thought that there was someone out there that has wired a 5 way cor-tek switch. ( i can probably figure out all the wrong ways to do it on my own )"

Just seemed a bit ungracious, and ungrateful for the help you did receive, even if it wasn't detailed enough for you to follow.

But, I'm glad you got it sorted out.

I'd suggest you do take a good look at the information that you were pointed to as well... knowledge is never a bad thing. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.