Ibanez JEM Forum banner

line6 HD500

6K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  hayst 
#1 ·
Any users who own this new floorprocessor?
I love it,its easy in use and its got awsome amps onboard.
Its easy to use the effectblocs..wich you can place anywere you want.
I plugged it into my both marshall valvestates and it sounds great.

See less See more
#10 ·
I have one too. The amps sound great, but it does take some patience to dial it in. But more realistic tube sounds that previous PODs. But like the previous PODs it is going to take a bit of time to get what I want out of it. But I do like it alot.

As for the Petrucci sound, I have seen over on the line 6 forums, some ones has a decent patch for it.

#12 ·
haha anyway another important question its about its user-compatibility
is it easy to learn to use this thing and like intuitive?cuz I tried a pod xt live a long while ago and at first I couldnt figure out how to edit a preset haha, but after a while I was closer xD
anyway my question is if its not that hard to use at first
thx

#13 ·
I gave it a spin in a shop last weekend with headphones and honestly it sounded like complete poop. It felt like listening to an old radio.. I tried mostly distorted sims! But I'm sure I screwed up... I couldn't find the outputs setup page so I don't know if it was configured for studio use! I mean, I have a POD X3 which I think sounds decent so there's no way Line 6 could have made the HD sound worse so surely I must have done something wrong. However I hear Line6 did a fantastic job with the clean sims and vintage sounds (I heard some truly gorgeous Pink Floyd tones on http://www.vettaville.nl/page.php?id=144#1117 just check the HiWatt demos)
And also there were only 4 presets in the unit I tested so again it must have been pampered with before. After 30 mins of getting down on my knees to operate the damn thing I gave up.. the interface is quite different from the X3.

I might still get one seeing as it's the natural evolution to the X3 and I don't really use the X3 dry recording option for re-amping so the biggest drawback of the POD HD doesn't apply to me that much. And I hear the cabinet simulation is much better than the X3, so I suppose I can plug a nice pre-amp to it and it'll sound pretty good!

On the other hand might be healthy to wait 2-3 months for the competition to catch up! And also everyone is selling their POD X3s so maybe it's not a good time to sell mine (or maybe it is cause the X3's value will just decrease more over time)

#14 ·
Re: line6 HD500 through phones

Yes it sounds like utter poop through phones.
Through the back of my 100W Vintage Modern the amp sims are nothing short of amazing.
Just don't expect the stomps to be anywhere near as good (definitely keep your Bad Horsie and Keeley DS-1).

#15 ·
I thought it sounded rubbish through headphones too, however i've since learned that the headphones impedance is set quite high (I think) meaning Line 6 are targetting or expecting the end user to use good quality set of headphones. I still bought the unit, it's far more complicated than my Korg AX3000G, the manual is huge. I'm also struggling to work out which compensator setting to use. It could also do with a British high gain model too, my own attempts don't sound all that. Nice synth effects though.

#18 ·
i have a line 6 x3 and was planning on getting this. from what i've read, it has all the effects from the m13(which is a very good effects board by the way), but also cut out a lot of the amp models from the x3... though, it's not like you needed that many. also, sound quality has been upgraded, but heard they're still using a sound chip or whatever, from the same family of the x3 sound chip. still, i'd like to try this out myself.

do you guys feel its a huge step over the x3?

#20 ·
I own the AX3000G as well as the HD500, although I hadn't used the HD500 at a full rehearsal since I bought it when it first came out. The amp sims on the HD500 do sound better at lower levels. (I use an MJW Orion mk3 amp head for ref.) The effects are better on the HD500, nut the AX3000G expression does so much more than the HD500 it's just not funny, something I realised when I tried to program the foot controller to boost the signal for guitar solos and couldn't! The only reason I bought the HD500 was to utilise the 4 cable method, something you can't do with the AX3000G. If the AX3000G was able to do the 4 cable method I would have saved £409! The lack of decent British high gain sounds on the HD500 is shocking! There aren't any, not without adding an overdrive model to push the gain further. (Something the AX3000G cannot do.) I'm not overwhelmed by the HD500, it's pretty good, the chorus effects are better than the AX3000G as are the reverbs. The delays are about the same, the Pitch transposer is far better on the HD500 as are the synth models. After 5 years of owning the AX3000G i'm only just getting the most from it nad I still find new things to try out on it too. There's a long way to go with the HD500 before it becomes my N0.1 go too pedal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.