Ibanez JEM Forum banner

NGD - scoop of awesome

5K views 25 replies 18 participants last post by  The Euphor 
#1 ·
The infamous Alvarez Dana Scoop. Took out the crappy licensed Floyd from whomever made the crap and put in a real one. Other than that, completely stock with original hardcase for a cool $350. Pretty good shape, too.

See less See more
#21 ·
ok, the review...

Turns out this model was made in Korea and if I had know that, I never would have bought it. I'm not a fan of Korean guitars and it's only that I modded my SZ520 into a beast that it stays in my collection.

The neck is thicker than a wizard and feels a bit odd at times. I fixed the frets as some were popping out (the seller had not played nor cared for this guitar in over a decade) and are now at a playable level.

The body feels also a bit unwieldy. It's got a weird contour where my picking arm rests and I'm usually moving my arm around trying to find a comfortable spot. Realistically, feels like I'm using a Guitar Hero controller.

The stock pickups are nothing to call home about. In fact, the "neck" pickup is really weak and the bridge pickup is too strong, all crackly and loud.

Stays in tune ok but the strings really have to be stretched out before you do any real playing. I can have an Ibanez tuned and ready to go in minutes but this guitar took an inordinate amount of time to fine tune with it often go out of tune just bending a string. I put an OFR on her but I think the locking nut is bargain basement and may have something to do with the tuning troubles.

The scoop (the gimmick of the guitar) never got in the way and didn't seems to help or hinder playability or sound. Playing it unplugged gave a real muted, tight twangy sounds.

It's not a heavy guitar at all and will be fun to knock around on but I would never do any real work with it. Bottom line is it feels more toy than guitar. I can see why Alvarez got out of electrics and stayed in acoustics after this guitar.

All in all, for $350, it's not horrible but nothing spectacular. It's like I thought when I bought it...Alvarez was at the Westone/Schecter 80's level. Lower than Ibanez/Hamer/ESP but higher than Aria Pro II/Hohner/Takamine electrics. Didn't know Takamine made electrics? <shudders> Pray you never find one.

I score this guitar a 3 out of 10. Obviously Alavarez's attempt to cash in on the late 80's crazy looking guitar phase and maybe, if the previous owner had taken care of it, could have been a better guitar but I must judge on what I got.

KNEEL BEFORE ZOD! ... I mean, that's all, folks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.