Ibanez JEM Forum banner
2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Drew 
#1 ·
:?: Does anyone use a Cornford MK50h (poss UK people only) amp here ? I am keen to try one out and will do soon but it would be nice to hear from someone who actually has one (preferably with Cornford Cab also) as I find you can't really get to know an amp by trying it out in a shop (at their volume) for 30 mins - the only way to get to know it properly is in a gig/rehearsal situation.

I currently use a Boogie MKIV (V30) and 1x12 (V30) extention cab but it just doesn't sound the same anymore and I was looking for a more simpler amp - the Cornfords are getting great reviews but I would appreciate any comments. The one thing that's putting me off is the fact that they are really only one channel and even though there is an overdrive and master boost how does this affect a clean sound as I am used to 3 channels with the boogie ? :?

#2 ·
I don't own one so I can't be of that much help to you, but there's a snippet in the latest Guitarist magazine...

Cornford are just launching their latest amp the "Hellcat". It's a 2 channel amp with 35W from 4 EL84s. Channel 1 is "Vintage" sounding and Channel 2 is "Modern" sounding.

Obviously their website is http://www.cornfordamps.com, but they'll surely be blowing thier own trumpet on that one. Still I guess you could drop them a mail ?

Personally I've found them to sound pretty much in the Marshall vein, other folks mayhave more informed opinions :) Good Luck :)

#3 ·
I saw a friend's band last weekend and the lead guitarist was using a cornford MK50 with a boogie oversized 2x12 cab.

it sounded like god, I kid you not. the best live guitar sound I've heard in years.

so much so, I had to have one...

[can't link to ebay or I'd show you... bought it last night...]

;-)
--c.

#4 ·
Cornford

What Guitar was he using Earthman ? - I am still deciding what to do about getting a Cornford or not. In my present (Financial) situation I might get hold of a 2x12 8Ohm cabinet and see if that improves the sound with my MK IV Boogie combo - I am not saying that I get a terrible sound but I want a smoother, thicker sound that I am presently getting. I was even thinking about building a 2 x12 cabinet, has anyone done this here before- I have heard a lot of good thing's about "Ported" cabinets (Genz-Benz) but they seem to be really expensive (as are the Boogie cabinets) and not probably available in the UK?

:?

Eddie

#5 ·
Be careful about home-made cabinets or off brand stuff, especially if you're dealing with 2x12s. The Mesa recto 2x12 is a great sounding cabinet. I played my Marshall through an "avatar" 2x12 with V30s and it sounded like poo. Through my Mesa cabinet (also V30s) it sounded 100 times better, and I am not exaggerating at all.

I have heard great reviews of the Genz Benz G-FLex but have no experience with them personally.

Good luck.

#6 ·
Re: Cornford

eddiewebb said:
What Guitar was he using Earthman ?
I'm the other guitar player in the band in question :D. He's using a JS1000BTB, a few pedals (including an SD1), the MK50 and a vertical Mesa Recto 2x12".

Of course, the fact that I have quite a similar rig to Clive's current one and he's abandoning it to get a Cornford tells you what he thought of my tone... :roll:

- rfb

#7 ·
Yeah, i'm quite impressed with those smaller "recording" amps of theirs- i mean, i'm not playing any huge arenas right now (heh), so the idea of something where i could get a great tone at a low volume and mic it for volume is VERY appealing... and the site's sound clips sounded pretty sweet. Can you pick those up stateside yet, or would i have to import one?

-Drew

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.