Ibanez JEM Forum banner

How to use Hughes Kettner Red Box

19K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  bancika 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm trying to use my built in Red box from my H&K triamp MKII. However I don't know what audio interface I would use between my amp head and PC.

Amp Head specs:
http://www.hughes-and-kettner.com/products.php5?id=32&prod=Redbox Pro

The red box out uses an XLR DI type connection - however I hesistant to just stick that signal into the line in of my PC/Laptop.

Do I need to use the Red Box Pro between the amp head and PC?
http://www.hughes-and-kettner.com/products.php5?id=32&prod=Redbox Pro

Or do I use an Audio Interface such as Audio Kontrol 1?

#2 ·
Strange timing for this thread as I had just recently downloaded the manual for my Hughes & Kettner Attax 200 as the orginal was long lost. Reading through the manual, I saw mention of the Red Box, and wondered what it was. Further reading indicated that that it's a speaker simulator, of sorts, for direct recording from the amp.

So yes, the Red Box would be between the amp and your PC. Concerning you hesitation of going directly from the Red Box to the PC, you should be okay. I record using the direct out of the amp straight to the PC, however, your suggestion of an audio interface would be recommended, if said audio interface allows for output signal level adjustment. I say this as I have to have the volumes for the three channels of the amp at low levels or I will hit the track too hot. Nothing on my PC has ever been damaged, but I haven't really cranked the volume, either. I assume it wouldn't matter, other than a crappy sound because it's too hot.

#4 ·
thanks guys.

I'm using a Pod Studio GX while I wait for the Audio Kontrol 1 by Native Instruments.

The Pod GX doesn't detect any signal at all which has me worried that the red box may be damaged.

I'm tempted to open up the triamp and go through the red box pcb with a multi-meter but it would shooting in the dark - won't know what to look for or what to replace if there's an issue.

Oh well :(

#5 ·
I could be wrong about this, but I don't think the GX input is compatible with the Red Box output. The UX1, for example, has two 1/4 inch line inputs in addition to its guitar input. I'm thinking that the line inputs are what you would want to use for your application. You may want to wait until you get the Audio Kontrol 1 before tearing into the amp and Red Box.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.