Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1987 gr 550 RFR

4K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  Gojira 
#1 ·
Few months ago i snagged this one after wanting it for years.
the thing that struck me the most is that this particular one has different neck from any other Wizard or Jem neck i own. .
I have '88 RG 550,'98 RG 550 '89 Saber, '92 JEM FP so compared to them it has much fatter neck then those Wizards and even Jem neck feels narrower. it feels like a Jem neck with more meat on in on the back.Neck is stamped rg550,and its all legit, but still a mistery.
Does anyone know a story about that? Did they make those first necks in '87 different then '88 and later?
http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/7213/02122010803.jpg

#9 ·
Jack and electronics were tipical 500/700, but have been upgraded to cts and switchkraft, cause the stock stuff on them is pretty ****ty in general ;) also split switch for the bridge and neck pu's is added by the previous owner. nice feature.
As for the pics..here you go, but capturing this color is a darn hard thing to do :)

#13 ·
hahaha maybe I wasn't clear enough. it is a normal 550, and it had the usual barrel jack. but i switched it to a switchkraft with a plate cause its more reliable.
here it is compared to '98 RG 550..see how much fatter it is.( and more tone it has too) btw serial is..F725862

#15 ·
I don't like the look of the switchcraft so much, but I have to agree on the reliability part...plus it's an easy fix if the contacts bend....... It's not so easy with a barrel jack.

That's one meaty piece of maple!!! I'd love to get a shot playing on it.....looks like a tone monster

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.