Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Are RG570's better than RG550's?

5K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  Axewielder 
#1 ·
Hi everyone. Well, my question is that. I know that RG550's and RG570's are almost the same, BUT the RG570 has the neck with a Bubinga stripe, and on the Ibanez guitars catalog, the RG570 were a little bit more expensive. Does that mean they're better? Or, what are other differences between RG550's and RG570's?

Thanks in advance!.

#3 ·
the bubinga stripe on MIJ RG5XX neck is called super wizard.
It is available on both model : RG 550 and RG 570, depends on the year of production, I think it's around 2001-2003.

what makes 570 a bit more expensive than 550? I dont know for sure.
It's only pickguard and fingerboard different between those two.

#5 ·
The RG520QS is also more expensive then either the 550 or 570. This could be because of the mahogany body VS the normal basswood. These also had the super-wizard, and were produced from the late 90's to the earlier 2000s. Great guitars, and can often be found as cheap as or sometimes cheaper then the 570s. Because of the "icon status" of the 550, the can often cost twice as much as a 570 these days in the used market.

I hope my info helps and is fairly objective.

but I would like to say in my own subjective opinion, the 520 is my favorite, I though I would miss the single coil, but the 5-way wiring let's it still be able to get this tones pretty much, and I am a bit obsessive over those jangly clean tones ;)

#6 ·
Hi! thanks everyone for your answers! i suppose it won't be a big deal! (the differences). I was asking this because i saw that the RG550's were a lot more rare and expensive, but all i care about is the quality of the guitar and the playability, not much about the look (altough, i must admit the RG550 looks much better to me, but here in Mexico they're almost inexistent). Thanks again!, and excuse my english.
P.S: I would still loved to read more opinions.

#10 ·
550s aren't really any more rare and shouldn't be any more expensive, in fact it tends to go in waves. I remember when RG570s were the more desirable and more expensive, then there was a switch to the RG550s being the "cool" guitars.

There is a subtle difference in playability, because the pickguard on the 550 alters the position of your picking hand very slightly, but it's purely personal preference.

There are subtle differences in the tone, but it's not something that should be make or break for either guitar. My main advice would be to get teh one you like the look of best, as that really is (in my opinion) the main difference.

#7 ·
To me: 1st.) 520QS, then the 570, then 550.

As stated above the 520QS plays, feels, and sounds the best, I have all three, and all have the same super wizzard neck.

I paid 175.00 for the 570 at a pawn shop

I paid 300.00 for the 520qs at closing down guitar shop.

I paid 550.00 for the 550 at the same closing shop.

#14 ·
Hi, again, thanks for your answers!. But here's the thing. Remember i'm Mexico, and over here, as i said, it's much harder to find good used guitars, also, they're more expensive, so there's no such thing as "buying the one i want". On Mercadolibre (Latin version of Ebay), there are only 3 Ibanez RG550's, 2 for more than $800 (and definitely, worn) and other one, which is the one i'm thinking to get, for (what would be in dollars) $450 with shipping, it also has what i believe IBZ/Dimarzios, but i'm not sure.

There's also an Ibanez RG570, here in my town, for $275, but it doesn't have the V7/S1/V8/ pickups, it has some 80's B.C Rich guitar pickups.

So, thats what im dealing with ;).

#22 ·
Not everyone is wild about the shrkfin inlays, but IMO if you're considering an RG570, you should really consider an RG770 or the best bargain out there (IMO), the RG760.

I see RG770's regularly go for the same amount as RG550s' and the pickups in the 700 Series are simply awesome.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.