Ibanez JEM Forum banner

RG1570 Pickup Replacement Help

3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  bowie8889 
#1 ·
Hello all! I need a bit of advise regarding pickups on a new RG1570 I purchased (my 1st Ibby!). I play allot of progressive metal and higher gain music (But I also play electric blues, many forms of "rock", and am currently taking Jazz lessons) and I need a pickup set that will be tight and defined. I am currently playing a Carvin ST300 (hog neck/alder body) with a Super Distortion in the bridge and an Evo in the neck. I used to have the Evo neck and bridge in it, but I replaced the bridge as I did not like the tone I was getting (maybe b/c of the mahogany?). It seemed great for leads, but I could not get a satisfying metal/rythem/palm-mutey chunk out of it (I realize that is not really what it is for, but I was hoping it would be passable). Anyways, this new guitar is basswood, and I was thinking about throwing the Evo bridge in it and transferring the evo neck from my Carvin, but I have heard mixed reviews about Evos in basswood. I have also been considering a crunchlab/liquifire combo as they seem to work well in basswood per a bunch of forum posts I read, also I like JP's tone quite a bit. Anyone have any experience with either of these sets in basswood or have any other suggestions (this is my 1st basswood guitar)?
If it helps, I am playing through a Peavey XXX 212 with KT77 power tubes and a Govener/Wizard speaker set. It sounds great with my Carvin, albeit a bit middy (I have to scoop the mids a fair amount). Thanks ahead of time!

See less See more
#2 ·
I know this isn't a direct answer to your question, but I highly recommend that you do the magnet swap mod before you spend any money. I just did this yesterday and I can't believe the improvement. The bridge pickup has excellent clarity and the neck is nice and full. It's easy to do. Only took about 45 minutes.\

I was going to spend a couple hundred on pickups but no need now...

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118210&highlight=magnet+swap

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply. That does seem interesting, although I think I'd rather just replace them straight up. I don't mind spending a bit of money on a new set of pickups, plus I can do the wiring myself no problem. I do however have a cheap guitar with terrible pickups that I could put the v7/v8 and try the magnet swap. Something to consider, thanks for the reply.

#6 ·
Hi, I used to have evo bridge on my RG1570, it sounds great IMO, very balanced and in-your-face. It's not very rig friendly though, I mean when I don't play through my own gear I often need extensive tweaking to make it sound great, cos sometime it gets too shrill. But once you got it dialed in it's amazing.
I also put the same pickup into my mahogany/maple neck thru Rg and it didn't sound as good.. Too much mids

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.