Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Mesa Boogie DC series VS. Rivera M series amps???

5K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  6fingers 
#1 ·
Mesa Boogie DC series VS. Rivera M series or Chubster 55 amps???

I have been using a Mesa DC series amp for years.
I have always modified them to have an extremely high gain Marshall style lead channel. The small size, huge power, and graphic EQ just can't be beat for grab and go flexibility.

I recently sold my backup amp (Mesa Boogie Maverick combo) and have been looking for a higher gain backup.

I've narrowed it down to a Rivera M series amp or another DC.
I'm hoping that someone here has experience with both amps and can share their opinion with me.

Here are my thoughts:
Rivera
Great Fender cleans, decent reverb
Great hot rodded Marshall tones
- I can't find any really great clips of the Chubster lead channel with high gain settings though
No graphic EQ (I have a modified Boss GE-7) that I can use in the loop
Huge transformers
Built like a tank
Ugly ass carpet covering that would get replaced quickly! (M Series)
Hard to find
Not sure if I would like the stock speaker
Chubster has funny name! Great conversation starter!

Mesa
Decent cleans, but need to be modified (still can't get a good Fender like clean channel out of this amp, as of yet)
Decent reverb, but needs to be modified
Lead channel decent, but would be modified to hot rod Marshall (think EVH on steroids)
Graphic EQ
I really like the MC-90 Black Shadow speaker
Transformers are sickeningly undersized! Good thing I have a dealer account with Mercury Magnetics!
Easier to find
No carpet covering

Here's what I'm looking for.
My band plays all original music ranging in styles from Steely Dan to Rush, Incubus, Zappa, late 70's Black Sabbath, early Maiden and Suicidal Tendencies.
I need an amp that has stellar cleans that won't break up unless I want them to.
I need super crunchy distortion with great clarity for intricate chord work and sustain/feedback laden leads (Santana style solos with a touch of Flying in a Blue Dream and lots of Van Halen on top).
Super fast channel changes with no lags, pops, etc.
Transparent loop - I run a TC Flashback and TC Corona in the Loop.
Must take Boost pedals, Phasers, etc. very well on the front end of the preamp as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and thank you in advance!
Andy

See less See more
#4 ·
You ever look inside a newer Marshall? They just are not built very well anymore. Cheap parts, poor layout, very thin circuit boards, etc.
I have had 2 TSL's and worked on numerous newer Marshalls. I'll never own another one.
I know lots of guys like them, but I don't.

That being said, I don't turn the DC into a Marshall, it is a very souped up version of a Marshall circuit that turns them into a fire breathing monster. Sort of a combination of a 2203 JCM-800 and a Mesa Tremoverb.
The Mesa DC is a great sounding amp for lower gain stuff. It is an even greater platform for just about any circuit you can think of.

The rest of the answer is:
I want a Fender like clean channel in the same amp.
I want an American made amp
I'm looking for an amp that already has a Fender clean and hot rod Marshall sound built into it that I won't feel the desire to mod.

#5 · (Edited)
I see so buy a 5150(EVH on steroids).
DC is great for LOWER gain stuff?
I had a DC5 for 12 years and I used to play pristine clean to metal and I never used an overdrive pedal to push it, I only used that boss eq you said to clean up some frequencies.
I still cry sometimes cause I sold it in 2006 but as we don't have mesa sellers and it was old, I wouldn't have a place to fix it, I'd have to find "a guy" who fixes amps and God knows what he'd put inside my jewel :(

#7 ·
Man, I loved the lead channel on my 5150. The loop and clean channel were a big let down though.

I guess the real answer is, I want a great american made amp that is affordable (under $800 budget) that gets me close to where I want to go.

A lot of guys tell me that I'm crazy for thinking a DC doesn't have enough gain. :D Then again, a lot of guys pay me to beef the lead channel up too. :D

I think I asked before, but are you Rio? I have a friend in Rio that knows a really good amp tech.

#9 ·
Yep you asked, I'm in Sao Paulo.
It doesn't matter if he's the best amp tech ever, I can't go inside of his head and see if he's an honest guy and won't put chinese parts inside of my(not anymore) mesa.
And about your question, I'd get an Engl pre, put it in the loop of any of your amps, you'd still have your amps tones + that pre tones = a lot of tones from 1 amp.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.