Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Guitar Refinishing- Using Enamel?

31K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  jl2556 
#1 ·
So I have been refinishing a green Ibanez RGT42. I sanded it down to the paint this week and started spraying with enamel spraypaint. Reading up on google, however, makes me wish I had used lacquer paint instead. I primed it, then painted a few coats of black enamel followed by a few coats of red (the plan is to sand the red in places to have a blotchy red-and-black guitar). My question is, was it a total mistake to use enamel, as in the paint not curing for months? I had planned to buff a shiny clear coat on top, but is that even possible with an enamel clear? Could I use an acrylic lacquer clear over the enamel paint? Thanks

#2 ·
Nothing wrong with enamel. Just don't spray it on too wet. The idea is to do a few dusting coats first, then an wet coat or two. You don't need to overload on the paint---just get an even coating. After that--let dry a few days. Then, sand your blotchy areas, but not too thin. You need an even finish, or clearcoating will be a nightmare to get level--the clear is what takes awhile to cure.

#6 · (Edited)
You need an even finish, or clearcoating will be a nightmare to get level--the clear is what takes awhile to cure.
This is one of the reasons I decided to buy a compressor/regulator/ spray gun etc. so I could do automotive base/clear on my project.I tried the whole rattle can thing and I was doing a Stryper Oz Fox replica and after I drew and started cutting everything out, the tape was pulling the yellow base off. I was FURIOUS!!!! Also, I didn't want to get to the point of clearing it(had I gotten past the tape delamination issue) and having to have everything be just right so I wouldn't have a major issue during the clearcoating. It was 9 months before I started that project again, anyway, I finished shooting my clear about 7 pm (Mon. night), let it dry over night, took it to work and was wet sanding it by 11:30 the next morning. I had it together and played it at church last Wed. night, 2 days later. Yes it cost more for the setup to shoot base/clear but if you can afford it, it's soooooo worth the short dry times and durability of the paint/clear.
I figure I have about $450 in the compressor,spray gun (LVLP),regulator,hoses,fittings,respirator.If anyone's interested, PM me and I'll let you know where I got everything....

P.S. I'll post some pics in another thread in a day or 2...It's pretty cool ;)

#3 ·
Yes, the enamel will take forever to cure, unless you can set it out in the sun in low humidity. Don't bother trying to sand it off for at least a year as it will be like goo.
Don't spray lacquer over it either as they will not mix very well.
Good thing about enamel is that when it does dry, it's nice and hard.
Lacquer is super easy to spray on as it spreads out and heals very nicely. Bad thing is it's soft even when dry.
I would stick with what you have now, and then see what you think in a few months.

#5 ·
Don't spray lacquer over enamel. You will get a gooey mess. They found that out a long time ago when they switched to enamel on cars and guys started respraying them. If you don't sand the body down to the bare metal, it's a nightmare. Use enamel on enamel. However, if you are still iffy, don't add more paint as you will just have more to sand off later.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.