Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Mike Keneally & Andy Partridge - "Wing Beat Fantastic"

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  MKeneally Tour2013 
#1 ·
Mike Keneally and XTC's Andy Partridge have written an album together and it's out now! Here's a video for the track "I'm Raining Here Inside."

Says Partridge:

Andy Partridge speaking about Wing Beat Fantastic:

"How does he do it? When Mike took away the demo we made for a freshly co-written song "You Kill Me," he had in his hands a rather lumpen campfire strum on acoustic guitars. What came back to my ears sometime later was a totally pulled apart, beautifully arranged mini-film for the ears, flowing like sonic liquid from one section to another, effortlessly moving from one time signature to the next. He'd made a tiny symphony, turning a bitter little protest tune into a well-crafted, cool, gliding, chrome...well...big protest song! Mike, what is your secret?

I didn't know how any of the tunes we'd agreed to write together were going to come out, but I know one thing, SO musical is this man that him just sitting with a guitar across his lap or perched at a keyboard pulled things from me that I can honestly say "I don't know where they came from."

One such piece was "Your House." One morning I said "give me a chord," he did, and another..."go up this time," and he did. Suddenly the basis for a whole bittersweet tale flew out. This is tough to talk about as I'm internally fighting the anti-vanity police writing this, but Mike and I wrestled from nowhere as beautiful a song as my best XTC work. Sat in my microscopic garden shed studio, I was privileged to be part of some rare magic that day. His inherent musicality set something off in me that was like a lovely bomb. No wonder Frank Zappa wanted to work with this man. When he sent me my copy of the finished album, and I got to this song, I couldn't hold back the tears. Thank you Mike, there are not many pieces of music that can do that to me.

Love all the short between-song vignettes that Mike includes on the album. Sometimes commenting on the song past, sometimes lifting motifs from a forthcoming piece. Like scenes in a film, a prequel of what you are about to hear, bending the timeline of the whole album to his musical will. This is filmic sense Mike, who taught you that, show me?

Sat at my kitchen table wrestling out the words to title track "Wing Beat Fantastic" was a bit of a roller coaster thrill ride. Don't think I've been head to head with such a sharp mind. I'd come up with a good line, he'd come up with better, I just HAD to beat it with a better one yet...or he's not leaving this table. A privilege to be goaded by you, man, good results."

See less See more
1 1
#2 ·
Hi Everyone

My name is Rhiannon and I'm co-promoting the upcoming 'Mike Keneally Band' tour of Europe. Good to meet you all!

Hopefully, Mike Keneally will be known many of you on these forums from his work with Steve Vai, so I wanted to bring to your attention the details of the tour. This is the first time Mike's entire band have ventured into Europe, and we're very much hoping that the tour will be prove to be a huge success. The band line-up will be: Mike Keneally, Bryan Beller, Joe Travers, and Rick Mussallem. The support act for each date will be 'Godsticks' with whom I am also associated.

Hope you don't mine if I post the details of the tour below:

Date: 20/3/2013
Venue: Borderline
Ticket Price: £17
Doors: 7 pm
Age restrictions? 14+

Date: 21/3/2013
Venue: Clwb Ifor Bach
Ticket Price: £14
Doors: 7:30 pm
Age restrictions? 18+

Date: 22/3/2013
Venue: Night 'n Day Cafe
Doors: 8 pm
Age restrictions? 18+

Date: 23/3/2013
Venue: The Cluny
Doors: 7:30pm
Age restrictions? 18+

Date: 24/3/2013
Venue: Voodoo Rooms
Ticket Price: £15
Age restrictions? 18+

Date: 27/3/2013
Venue: Paradox
Ticket Price: €15
Age restrictions? N/a

Date: 28/3/2013
Venue: Cafe Central
Ticket Price: €17 pre-sale / €20 doors
Age restrictions? N/a

Date: 29/3/2013
Venue: Paradiso
Ticket Price: €20
Age restrictions? N/a

Date: 30/3/2013
Venue: Der Club
Ticket Price: €16 advance / €20 doors
Age restrictions? N/a

Date: 31/3/2013
Venue: Bergkeller
Ticket Price: €20 (not on sale yet)
Doors: 8:30 pm
Age restrictions? N/a

Date: 2/4/2013
Venue: Kellerperle
Ticket Price: €15 advance / €20 doors
Age restrictions? N/a

Date: 3/4/2013
Venue: Spirit of 66
Price: 15 Euro
Age restrictions? N/a

Date: 4/4/2013
Venue: Music Academy International
Price: N/a
Age restrictions? N/a

If you're interested in becoming part of the 'Street team' or have any enquiry whatsoever regarding this tour, you can reach me here - keneallytour2013 - at - gmail.com

Hope to see you at one of the gigs!

Rhiannon

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.