Ibanez JEM Forum banner

new Jem at Namm 2013

20K views 82 replies 46 participants last post by  maqify 
#1 ·
i think we will see a new Jem at Namm 2013. the Jem77 FP2 has been around 3 years now. the Jem77 BRMR was around for 3 years before it got replaced by the Jem77 FP2. i want to see a new Jem and not a reissue.

#11 ·
i don't consider the premium Jem a real Jem. i see the premium Jem as Ibanez losing their way. the Ibanez Jem should be kept as a top of line guitar. you won't see Ferrari release a $30000 vehicle just so every one can afford one. i think the Jem name has been cheapened by the release of the premium model.

#14 ·
Really good point, Rich. The 555 with the 'half vine' and the lo trs trem was a JEM too! The premium JEM gives us the right hardware, the right pickups and the right inlay, would anyone be able to tell where it was made if it didn't say? I highly doubt it.

#13 ·
The Premium doesn't cheapen the Ibanez brand. Ibanez NEEDS a budget line, and the Premium line trounces pretty much everything else in the price point. What hurts the brand is everyone going around saying "Ooooh, these are every bit as good as the MIJ's! I can have the SAME guitar for HALF the price!" If the buyer focus shifts to the Indo guitars because everyone buys into the something-for-nothing BS, Ibanez will respond by building less and less in Japan and push their heavily-invested Indo factory built stuff more and more. Then you'll end up with only sigs and JC's from Japan, and the budget AND midline will come from Indo. Which translates to cheap guitars, and more expensive cheap guitars.

I remember the bitching when they slapped "Prestige" on a MIK guitar. Imagine the complaints (yes, from me) when they put it on an Indo. Stick around.

#27 ·
You need to look a little closer ;)

The routs, the rout edges, the AANJ holes, everything besides the finished surface is pretty rough and if sanded at all, not very well. You can easily tell these are not MIJ just by this fact alone, and pretty much Indo is the only country these flaws are found on in Ibanez product.

But yes, the 70 would be a definite large step above a 555.

#33 ·
:D
"Give me a Pepsi Free."
"If you want a Pepsi you're going to have to pay for it pal!"

I agree on the finishing. Funny as it might sound I think you can tell a lot about an RG by looking in its spring cavity if it has one. Usually this gives you a fair clue how sketchy the wood and finishing is on an Indo.

#35 ·
I disagree somewhat in that the fixed bridge Indos aren't bad, even the non-Premium ones. It's a bit harder to screw up a fixed bridge I think even with the production line mentality. The big things to me are the nut and the tuning machines. A bad neck, hopefully, would be spotted prior to purchase.
But yeah, if it has a trem a used MIJ is preferable.

#38 ·
The RG550 20th I had was a fantastic instrument. I will have another. And I will have a 770 reissue as well. If an LNG reissue was built to the same specs or standards as the current JEM7VWH, it would be an amazing guitar, and I would absolutely have to have one. And while that would be awesome, I doubt very seriously that they'll do an LNG-RE.

#43 ·
I can't see a LNG personally but maybe now Vai is playing the UV again a new UV? There won't be a handle or a claw as they just add a lot of work from wood work to priming sanding painting and polishing and for the same price. After sanding more handles than I would have ever signed up for I know what I am talking about.

Anything but black would be a good color, well maybe skip white and shades of also... yawn.

#44 ·
I know what your on about. Im customising a left hand RG560, I thought about putting a handle in and then remembered how much work it is, all that sanding ,sealing ,sanding, priming ....................... I have to stop typing at this point, my head hurts.

re issue the 777 LNG, DY and shocking pink. It would be interesting to see a modern version like they did with the neck on the UVMC reissue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.