Ibanez JEM Forum banner

JEM inspired display case project

6K views 57 replies 24 participants last post by  Pelkins 
#1 ·
After biting the bullet and purchasing my first JEM ('87 JEM777DY), I decided on a project to build my own display case. Still waiting on the guitar to arrive, but picked up some things to start this project.

I haven't fully designed the case yet, but bought things I wish to incorporate in it, and I'll post progress in this thread.

Since vines are synonymous with JEMs I couldn't pass up this trim for the glass door.

The case will be stained wood, but these cans jumped right off the shelf at me. I only wish to use the color on some small places. Like maybe a top plaque with 3 sevens in a triangle, one of each color.

And this is the trapezoidal shape of the case I started on. This piece will be covered in black backing material.

See less See more
#5 ·
I like when cool coincidences happen. I went back to the hardware to buy some stain for the case, and when checking out I see a magic number for cost of the stain. How fitting for this project.

I decided to spend some time today jumping straight to the small wooden plaque at the top. I cut a trapezoid piece of wood, drew in some 7's and carved them out.

Then colored in each 7 with the florescent paint. I actually just sprayed it into the can top and dabbed an artist brush in it. The stained the wood. So, this was really a test, but I like the way it came out so I'll use it.

I plan to just make one more small plaque at the bottom that will use the florescents again, and that will probably be it.

#7 ·
Thanks guys. Moving right along on a Saturday morning. I don't expect this project to take too long.

Using my '89 RG570 for picture scale purposes until the JEM comes in.

I hate working with non-standard angles. But, it worked out fairly well so far.

#8 ·
Question. Paint the leaves or not? I was considering actually painting the leaves on the vines a dark green, but I think that will be too much. I think dark stain by itself will be good enough. The only color being the symbols at the top and bottom. But I know you'll get a better idea once stain is actually applied.

Still need to finish the vine trim at the top and bottom

And the disappearing pyramid still needs the pink top added

#15 ·
I'm still on the fence about the vines. I took a scrap piece vine molding and stained it, and I like the way stain brought everything out on it's own (see below). I want the case to be nice but subtle, the real artwork will be what is hanging inside of course.

In the morning I'll test paint some of the leaves on this scrap piece just to be sure, otherwise, I think it's going to be just stained and varnished.

The color changing LED lights is definitely an interesting thing, not something I was expecting to do on this build, but will leave it open for the future to be added in.

The fabric I have for the backing will be black.

#18 ·
Thanks its coming along nice.

OK, back to the comparison. I painted some of the leaves, here's a side by side comparison. I do kind of like it, but like I said before I don't want the box to get "too busy" or end up looking like a hippie box with too many different color and designs on it. But, besides the 777 and pyramid in florescent (which I wanted to be the highlights), the leaves will be the only other thing colored.

Oh well, back to cutting and finishing the trim, before making those decisions.

#20 ·
OK, finished up the trim today, sanded it, and applied the stain. Now to make the final decisions on the leaves before applying varnish.

Ironfist, I'll probably go that route with just white light. Like I said before, the real art is what is hanging in it. I can always add the LED's later.

#24 ·
I'm moving forward with varnishing now. I decided to keep this one simple and not paint the leaves. There was a lot of good ideas given, like color changing lights and neon back felt, but I'm sticking with black back felt, and there will be warm white LED light strips w/ dimmer. I bought this off of amazon for $20 that will be more that enough to line the inside perimeter

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AK1IO8O/

Originally when I was designing this case, it was going to be extra large to hold the 3 original 777's if I ever came across all three, but glad I reverted back to a single case.

My other concern was where was I actually going to hang this given my man cave/game room/music room is pretty full. My garage door is bolted shut so no chance of it ever opening, so I made some very sturdy brackets on the door braces (its not going anywhere) and now this will be front and center in the room. Perfect spot for it. And it'll be cool to see how the black lighting in the room will light up the guitar.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.