Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Did you guys see the Ibanez 9 string prototype from namm? (8 string j custom inside)

Tags
9 string
6K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  Jemwielder 
#1 ·
I have an RG2228 8 string which many consider the best, and after playing a few, that's why I bought it. As an 8 string slinger, at Namm there were 2 things I thought interesting:

1) 8 string j custom

now I used to have a jem7vwh so I love vine inlays, but not interesting to me, im actually more interested in the white rg2228 with maple fingerboard, but I have the rg2228 in galaxy black so im not crazy enough to imagine anyone would swap their white for mine, but that's another story

on to the more interesting thing

2) 9 string prototype

now I am not impressed with anything about it aesthetically. im just extremely interested in seeing what this might mean for ERGs and 9+ strings. maybe Ibanez might make an rg2229 or something, and that id be interested in seeing

source:
http://iheartguitarblog.com/page/3

See less See more
#4 ·
agreed. amplifying the sound and getting clarity is not exactly easy, playability is harder because of the huge neck, the scale might make playing difficult, i mean playing in the first position on the 8 string is not all that easy, so u got physical issues, tone issues and amplification issues already with an 8.....

9,10, 11 and whatever else more they have are too much. a low f# on an 8 string is already bass territory, a low c# on a 9 string is totally bass, and 10+ strings are just guitar-bass hybrids with a 6 string on bottom and 4 string bass on top... the ERG is going to become some other type of instrument if it keeps going, I hope they draw the line at 9, factory production wise I mean.

with all that said tho, if they do make an RG2229 w/ EMG 909's and the same neck as the rg2228, then I will eventually have one lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.