Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Building a mini practice amp

Tags
amp circuit
2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  kfm946 
#1 ·
I've recently been looking into amp and pedal circuitry, and i thought it'd be fun to try building an amp. So I found some schematics, bought the components, and started building it. I chose the following circuits: "Thor" distortion pedal from runoffgroove.com (based an a Marshall 100W Super Lead) and "Punch" from diale.org (a nice, 1W clean amp).

I built the Thor circuit and it sounds awesome (demo below), i'm still waiting for some parts for the amp circuit. The distortion will be switchable so it'll be a two channel amp. I also came across another distortion pedal circuit called Dr. Boogie, a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Solo head emulator, and figured why not kick it up a notch? So as soon as I get the parts for that circuit, I'll build it and install it in the amp, giving the lead channel two modes: classic and modern.

"Thor" :

Thor demo: www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gtb5_WR8Ho8

See less See more
#3 ·
yeah i love it, i'm surprised it came out so well for my first big circuit like that!
I was originally gonna run it into a Little Gem Mk II but the LM386s I bought were apparently poor quality because anything I made with them didn't sound great (whereas a Little Gem I made with a 386 I had before that sounded great).

As for the cabinet, I've got a Jenson MOD6-15 speaker, and I'm gonna make a 7"x7" box out of scrap wood from an old oak desk. It's got some good mass to it, so it should have decent resonance. It'll probably look something like this but square:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.