Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Looking for info re: 89 Ibanez S540 with a fabric covering.

3K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  vaijem777 
#1 ·
I just purchased a beautiful 1989 S540 with a fabric top just like the Jem FP, only in a totally different pattern. The entire top portion including the headstock are covered and then clear coated. The serial # begins with F9 and it says made in Japan. I have been trying to find out how many others were produced if any. I have done some thorough searches and have not been able to find any info at all. Does anyone have any knowledge about this most unusual Saber? Thanks

#7 ·
I just noticed that I made a mistake in the serial #. It begins with F89, not, F9. I read on one website that during that time period Ibanez would supposedly customize any Ibanez guitar at the buyers request going through the selling dealer. If memory serves me correctly the service was available for either 2 or 3 years. I will upload some pictures in the next few days. I am out of town at the moment. I appreciate all of the input thus far.

#8 ·
There's plenty of info on the Ibanez USA Custom Shop at this link:

http://www.jemsite.com/usa/usa.htm

At no time would Ibanez customize ANY model a customer wanted-the USA Custom Shop only dealt with RG bodies, and the customization was pretty much limited to necks, pickups and finishes. However, there was a set list of finishes offered (none of which were floral patterns). I suppose that there is an off chance that it could have been a Hoshino or Chesbro employee guitar (like Kevan's doubleneck FP).

As far as I know, the (3) MetalDesign finishes were the only USA Custom fabric finishes, and none of them were fabric.

The best thing would be to have some pictures of your guitar though :) I'm sure that that would greatly help in determining exactly what it is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.