Ibanez JEM Forum banner
9K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Exotic Shredding 
#1 ·
I've been pondering having a custom guitar built for me, and I decided that I would either want a string-thru body Tune-O-Matic bridge or a fixed string-thru body bridge. Problem is, I can't find anywhere on the web (Schaller, Gotoh, etc.) that manufacture 7-string tune-o-matic bridges. Even then, I wouldn't want one unless it was locking like the Tone Pros bridges. And that raises another question: Would the tune-o-matic bridge be compatible with the wizard radius? I know with a fixed bridge like on the 7621, 7421, 7321, 7521, 7221, etc. that each saddle is adjustable so the radius doesn't matter as much, but the tune-o-matic saddle heights are set. Which would you reccomend either way considering all factors, a string-thru body tune-o-matic or just a string-thru body fixed bridge? Also, I know Graph Tech used to carry 7 string sets of String Saver saddles for non-tune-o-matic bridges because I was considering getting a set for my 7621, but their site doesn't list them anymore. Do they still carry them or do I have to special order them or what? I don't care either way, I just want them. I'm used to special ordering, since pretty soon here I'm probably going to actually get a 7-string set of Sperzel Locking tuners (the dealer near here says Schecter orders them in bulk so he could order a 7-string set from them :) )

#2 ·
http://www.wdmusic.com/

Go there, they have tune-o-matic and other parts for 7-string guitars. I got my tune-o-matic there for my custom 7. My 7 string neck is kinda funny though...it has a gibson explorer radius and width modified for 7 strings. And its 24 7/8" scale. The bridge works great for me. I don't even use a lock and it stays in tune fine. I use a graphite/teflon nut and it holds tuning better than other materials. I looked into the string saver saddles and decided not to go for them. I know someone that uses them. They apparently suck your tone away. The change is pretty large according to my friend who has them on two guitars, and the builder of my axe. Just a thought.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.