Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Question on width of the frets.

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  CrossingStar 
#1 ·
When they say width of the neck does it mean the width left to right or width from up to down?

Also the wizard is said to have a extra wide neck. Why? I heard EVH wanted narrow frets because it intonates better or something.
Thanks. :roll:

#2 ·
Welcome Angel! :)

Width of a neck is how wide it is from left to right (low E string side to high E string side). Thickness is from the face of the fretboard to the backside of the neck.

Frets are different. When someone says a narrow fret, that does not mean from high E to low E. It is the width of the fret if you actually took a cross section of it.

Check out Warmoth or Stewmac from diagrams of frets. That should really help you out (in case I made it more confusing) ;-)

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply but...

I think I misspoke myself. It should have been frets not neck. Do you know the difference between narrow frets and large frets like the wizard? I heard Eddie van Halen likes narrow ones because of better intonation. Any links? Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.