Ibanez JEM Forum banner
7K views 27 replies 11 participants last post by  buddroyce 
#1 ·
Hi,

I've got a RG 3120 and I want a second guitar, I think the RG 1880 would be a good choice ! Can you tell me more about this guitar ?

Another problem is that I live in Belgium, this guitar isn't importated in Europe so what can I do to buy it ?

Thanx

Fabian :confused:

#2 ·
There was one on ebay a little while back...if you search there on expired auction with "RG1880" you'll find it...cool dark green burst flamed maple.  One difference from your 3120 would be the neck, which is a bit thicker...also has 2-1-2 pups.
Greg

#3 ·
Hmmm.. I wonder what ba$tard bought that 1880 on e-bay... :)

See previous discussion here:
http://jemsiteforum.com/board/topic.cgi?forum=2&topic=14

I also have a 3120 that I love almost as dearly, so I can make a few comparisons:

* The 3120 has a Tone Zone & a PAF Pro with a special 5 way switch, while the 1880 has a Tone Zone, Blue Velvet, and an Air Norton with split 5 (Jem-like) wiring. Personally, I like the sound of the PAF Pro in a mahogany body more than an Air Norton (the PAF Pro sounds much more solid), but the Blue Velvet is really great by itself and combined with neck/bridge split coils.

* The 1880 has a 5 piece bound neck, while the 3120 has a simpler, thinner neck. Personally, I like the bigger neck, but it is absolute night & day compared to the 3120 neck--they don't feel remotely similar. The 1880's neck makes my strat's neck look like a toothpick.

* Of course there are the finish differences: The 1880 has a burst finish (the finish is also on the headstock--very cool), while the 3120 is a transparent stain. Both of them have killer tops.

* General attention to detail seems just as good on the 3120 as it does on the 1880.

Ishibashi music (http://www.ishibashi.co.jp)--good luck finding your way around the website--stocks the 1880's, 1680's (unbound neck and different pickups), and lots of other sweet guitars, and they ship internationally.

If you do shell out of the 1880, you won't be disappointed (just don't be surprised by the neck!).

If you have more ?'s, let me know.

--Brent

(Edited by bduersch at 10:05 pm on Feb. 4, 2001)

#11 ·
Quote: from bduersch on 3:53 pm on Mar. 16, 2001
The binding on the neck actually is flamed maple. There's a very thin strip of it around the 3 edges of the fretboard. It's one of those pieces of craftsmanship that just makes you say "d@#$".

--Brent
I was intrigued by the flame maple binding when I first noticed it mentioned in the specs of the RG1880 on Ibanez.co.jp. I haven't found real good pics featuring it, but it sounds cool.

Does the headstock feature flame maple binding too, or what exactly?

How about the body? Natural binding?

#12 ·
The body has the same natural binding that's on the 3120. The headstock itself is not bound--the binding on the neck stops at the nut. If you look at this picture (http://imagehost.auctionwatch.com/bin/imageserver.x/00000000/rickboot/P1010064.jpg), you can see the binding. It's more subtle in the picture than it is in real life.

After looking closely at it, Kevan, it actually is a 5-piece neck. Pieces 2 & 4 are incredibly thin, and are some darker wood (I'm assuming walnut). Again, though, they are very thin (<1mm). So at the headstock, it's actually a 7-piece neck.

--B

#13 ·
sure is pretty.  I'm impressed. Ibanez has really stepped up the quality of their tops on some of these models.  The 3120s are nice.  The 1880s are too.  the RG7CTW and CT were both impressive.  Also, the Texas Special Prestige models have been exceptional.  Nice to see the quality being pushed up again.

#15 ·
You mean the RG7CT V V ? (not aware of any W's, but when lots of V's hang out together ...)

It's similar in many respects to the RG7CST. Mahogany body w/ flamed maple top, vintage violin finish, rosewood fretboard w/ offset abalone dot inlays, bubinga stripe on neck, black chrome hardware, Lo-pro 7, New 7 pickups, ebony headstock cover. More details & pics available here:
http://w3.one.net/~brentano/studio/ibanezrg7.html

It's not a J-custom model (don't tell anyone we're discussing in here), but it's a rather limited prestige model. The main differences between the CT and the CST (the J-custom model): the CST has an ebony fretboard, piezo pickups, believe it has fewer inlays and different pickups.

--B

#20 ·
which one are you proposed ? (color ? year ?)
I think all the 1880 don't have exactly the same neck depending on the build year.

This guitar is really great, with some more finition details than de 1680...
I don't know anything about the 1712 (if you have a picture of that one, feel free to post :D)

#21 ·
I have no clue what the RG1712 is, but I can tell you that the RG1880 is a great guitar. I just got my RG1880S-NT a few weeks ago and it plays great.

The neck doesn't feel that chunky to me, in fact it feels a bit thinner than a stock neck off a Jem7Vwh. It's a very comfortable neck though (at least for me).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.