Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Floyd Rose tuning problems with my new RGT42

3K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  germX 
#1 ·
Just got my 1st Floyd Rose guitar; an Ibanez RGT42. The set up out of the box was actually very good. Frets are clean and action is low. However, when I tune the guitar, lock the whammy down and start using it, all the strings go about a quarter step flat after about 5 minutes of using it. I'm not doing any insane stuff with the vibrato bar, but I am doing dive bombs and all; stuff that the Floyd is supposed to be designed for. Any kind of setup I have to do to keep it more stable?

#4 ·
You can work the bar to stretch the strings. In all strings there is a point where they will stretch and during this process your guitar tuning will go flat. If you have played the guitar for a while and used the bar quite a bit and it still goes flat you may need to make some adjustments to the trem system. Most likely it is your strings.

Todd :D

#5 ·
That's a Lo TRS II. It will stay in tune decently but you wont be able to really trust it... So I say you should start saving now and put an OFR or an Edge in there... (It might fit, 50/50....)

Unless it's one of those new ones with the Edge Pro II.

Either way I'd love to get an RGT42 and put an OFR in it! It would really be a rockin axe... Oh well, I'm stuck with my 470 and it's ****TAY Lo TRS... :x

#6 ·
DirtyBird31 said:
That's a Lo TRS II. It will stay in tune decently but you wont be able to really trust it... So I say you should start saving now and put an OFR or an Edge in there... (It might fit, 50/50....)

Unless it's one of those new ones with the Edge Pro II.

Either way I'd love to get an RGT42 and put an OFR in it! It would really be a rockin axe... Oh well, I'm stuck with my 470 and it's ****TAY Lo TRS... :x
Have you tried replacing the TRS bridge with a OFR? OR have u not tried it yet, just wanted to know would it fit onto an ibanez with either a TRS or TRS-II trem

#7 ·
Lo TRS routs are definitely big enough to fit an OFR into. No problem. THe posts are the same width as well. You will need to put new posts in, as the small TRS studs will eat away at the OFR's knife edges. Basically you'll have to drill outt he holes. Scary if you're not familiar with working a drill press. 2 other problems

1. I have cosmo hardware, OFR's will clash with cosmo no matter what color you get. :?

2. A TRS has equal sized shoulders on both sides, an OFR has a larger 'wing' on the side of the bar attachment. So you'll see a good chunk of rout on the northside of the bridge if you put an OFR in it. Around .5 cm I believe.

As for me, I just ordered an Edge, and I anticipate filing out the back half of the cavity at most a couple of mm all around. But the options are there, if you want to put a little bit of work in. :)

#8 ·
stretch the strings- chances are, it's the strings. yes, literally stretch 'em by pulling 'em up (away from the fingerboard. otherwise, pull the whammy sharp & re-tune. repeat until the strings stay in tune, which they finally will.

check the trem- the trem, regardless of what model it is, is supposed to stay in a neutral position ie. it's not supposed to be over or under the horizontal marking as specified by the accompanying manual. you can rectify this by tightening/ loosening the trem springs & then re-tune your guitar.

good luck...

PS: DB31- i suggest you put your 470 for sale... then grab the current 470 which is Edge Pro equipped...

#11 ·
no mistakes Rich- the current 2003 RG 470/ 450 are Edge Pro equipped. it has that characteristic 'sound block' at the bridge saddles, which are absent from the Edge Pro II. i own the RG1550 so i know how the Edge Pro looks like + a friend just bought the Rg 450LTD with the Edge Pro. maybe Ibanez.com should update this on their site...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.