Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Any advice on how to route the slot for the stem of a vine?

964 views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  Grindell 
#1 ·
I'm thinking about cutting a template and using my dremel base to ride against the template. Anybody have any other ideas?

Also, anyone have any ideas on what to make the stem out of? The inlays are almost all cut out of MOP, but I was thinking of using a piece of binding layed sidways for the stem. I can get it in the right thickness to match the carbide bit I'm going to use.

Any suggestions would be most welcome. Thanks!

#2 ·
Well, I am halfway through the inlaying of my first vine of life. This is my first attempt at inlaying anything, and I've learned quite a bit. Pics can be seen here, if anyone is interested.

http://home.mchsi.com/~kswaim/vine.htm

I downloaded the jpeg that is printed out of the vine from projectguitar.com, and I must give a big round of thanks to whomever did it. It was someone named Alex, I know that, but I never caught the last name.

Also, I stopped the stem short of going past the 24th fret as I never liked the fact that it went past the 24th fret, but now I'm thinking that I shouldn't have. It probably won't look quite right with the first 2 petals at the 24th fret.

I used 2 pieces of black/white binding glued together white to white for the stem, this allowed me to route a bigger slot that fit a bit I had, and the black on either side is almost unnoticeable until you get up close.

Hopefully I'll have the fingerboard completed tomorrow.

Man, how does LGM make it look so easy?????

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.